This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

What should I do now to protect a new computer?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hope this is the correct place to post… not sure. I have a new HP computer running Windows Vista. Just took it out of the box and started downloading all the program updates. Are there any particular programs that you would recommend installing now, to protect the computer? Is there anything I should adjust now? Are there any programs you would recommend avoiding? Thank you, Jackie
Oh I forgot to ask… Does it matter that this new computer runs Windows Vista and the one that I previously asked about runs Windows XP? jackie
When you download various of the protective utilities which you select, you may be asked to select the version appropriate for your platform, which will be Vista.


Here is a thread discussion of Vista Firewall which recommends a support utility to enhance Vista's native firewall. (instead of installing a separate software firewall)
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=139449

Once you have your utilities selected and installed, please post back with any observations or concerns.

You could also run a performance test at PCPitstop and post your Test Results back here as a URL Link, into this thread to help us explore even more with you.

Best Regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI