This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Not really restricted to Microsoft Software

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So first things first, I just came from the virus/malware section and have been given a clean bill of health, so that is not the problem. If anyone wants to see any of the logs from my virus checks this is the thread.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…123043&st=0
So my issues are, cpu and physical memory usage were very high. As was the temp on my cpu.
Now that I have done away with the beloved plugincontainer my cpu usage and temp is a little better but the fan still runs really hard all the time and the computer goes through periods where it hangs. Also firefox+plugincontainer, now just firefox is using about 700000 b of physical memory, is this normal?
The wierdest stuff happens when browsing though.
Example.
Firefox can run ogame, youtube, and most flash based sites.
Cannot run ogame support page, kongregate.com, or omgpop.com(it can access the page and log in but can't load games)
Safari can run some kongregate games but not all, and it can open ogame support page.
Cannot run omgpop.com (again can access the page but can't log in, it can run the games if playing as a guest.)
Internet explorer can run omgpop.com but I am loath to use it because it is a resource hog.

Now the weirdest part is if I go to a game that won't load on kongregate.com, and play on newgrounds or armorgames.com instead it works. Same game, same loader.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Intel i5-2410M 2.30 GHz
Have 6GB of ram
Hi eggsarecool, Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer, I took a very quick glance at your logs over in your Virus and Spyware removal topic, and noticed some entries that may indicate that: 1 someone may have installed a P2P file sharing application BIt torrent (Utorrent) and may have used it to download material from a source where the "provenance" is not 100% 2 There is also evidence that cracks (key generator) software may have been used) Can you please check your computer for this….if necessary please also check with anyone who has access to your computer to see if they can shed any light on the matter. Post back and let us know what you have managed to find out. Regards paws
Hi eggsarecool

Sorry to read about your continuing difficulties.

At this point, I believe we "tech types" need a bit of consultation and assistance from Conspire who is one of our valued malware removal speicialists.

Since we are not malware removal specialists ourselves, and do not perform those types of duties in these Forums, we'll need that guidance before offering any additional suggestions for you.

I apologize in advance for your inconvenience.
I'll close this topic until we are advised of an "all clear" and are given the "go ahead" to offer further assistance.

Hopefully we will get your topic opened again very promptly.

Best Regards
Hi again, eggsarecool


After consultation with Conspire, I have Opened your Topic again.

Please be aware that we do not assist with the use of P2P applications. (uTottent)
And know that some of the hazardous downloads that became apparent in your other Topic will surely bring no good and will certainly expose your machine to risk if installed.

Whether or not we can provide any useful assistance in this matter remains to be seen and will be bounded by our own strict adherence to Forum Rules.

As to your machine experiencing slow-downs, it is quite possibly that even though it may be a well equiped machine, running virtualized machines takes its tole on available resources. Similarly running P2P software can burden a machine whether running for download or as seed.

It is not advised nor do we support use a virtualization as a method to get by with using hazardous applications.

Please tell us more about your use of this machine and situations in which you experience "slow down" so that we can determine any assistance that we may be able to offer.
Hi, As far as utorrent I understand that you can't help with that and its inherent risks. I have however experimented with utorrent turned off while I am browsing so I don't think that is the issue although I can uninstall if we need to experiment. As far as files are there any in particular that are causing me trouble, or was that just a general warning over keygens and other stuff I download via P2P? For virtual machines I only use those to run some archaic windows 95 games, they shouldn't be running. If they are, again, I can delete them. I also use poweriso for a virtual cd drive, but one drive only and nothing has been mounted lately, is this an issue? As far as when the issues occur they happen during normal browsing, I have experimented with shutting down everything outside of system processes and the browser but still had the same problems. Also firefox is using 717,556 kb of physical memory, 17 tabs open at the moment but even with fewer tabs it is usually around that number, is that normal? The issue with the computer hanging affects the whole system, can occur with any program, even something simple like opening a word or pdf file. The hanging issue also seems to get worse over time until I restart the computer. Usually I am forced to do so towards the end of a day because the hanging becomes more frequent. Any questions or advice are welcome. Thanks :)

Hi,
As far as utorrent I understand that you can't help with that and its inherent risks.
I have however experimented with utorrent turned off while I am browsing so I don't think that is the issue although I can uninstall if we need to experiment.
As far as files are there any in particular that are causing me trouble, or was that just a general warning over keygens and other stuff I download via P2P?
For virtual machines I only use those to run some archaic windows 95 games, they shouldn't be running. If they are, again, I can delete them.
I also use poweriso for a virtual cd drive, but one drive only and nothing has been mounted lately, is this an issue?

As far as when the issues occur they happen during normal browsing, I have experimented with shutting down everything outside of system processes and the browser but still had the same problems. Also firefox is using 717,556 kb of physical memory, 17 tabs open at the moment but even with fewer tabs it is usually around that number, is that normal? The issue with the computer hanging affects the whole system, can occur with any program, even something simple like opening a word or pdf file. The hanging issue also seems to get worse over time until I restart the computer. Usually I am forced to do so towards the end of a day because the hanging becomes more frequent.

Any questions or advice are welcome.
Thanks :)



Good morning eggsarecool,

As to "keygens and other stuff I download via P2P" there are two issues:

1. Use of keygens to acquire access to proprietary applications is roughly equivalent to stealing and is not acceptable nor legal in the world nor here at WTT.

2. Use of bootlegged applications via keygens access is almost certain to result in unreliable function of the application, inability to update appropriately, and most likely will involve some sort of hostile tracking of your machine and activities reported back to the publishers of the keygen code. You will get more than you anticipated, and mostly not good.

Instruction:

– Delete the files identified by ESET as previously posted. (sure, they do not yet appear to have been installed, and are therefore not yet compromising your machine functionality, but most certainly would do so.)
– Allow Malwarebytes to remove the files it identified.
– Stop downloading those and similar items, whether via uTorrent or through other means.

"If" you abide with the above instruction, then a next step would be to have another look at the overall functioning of your machine.
– Amount of processes running active,
– Functionality of CPU, RAM, and Graphics solution
– Amount of Temp files
– Existence of conflicting applications

One simple way to get a good "birds-eye-view" of your machine, system, and software might be to run the PCPitstop Overdrive tool.

here's how:

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.


By suggesting these "next steps" I am not endorsing your prior activities via P2P.
In fact, I am requiring that you stop such activity as a prior condition for receiving further assistance.

Post the URL to the PCPitstop Overdrive results.
We will then determine whether or not, and how, we may be able to be of further assistance to you.

Best Regards
Sorry for the delay, it is finals week so I am going nuts. As far as utorrent would you like me to uninstall it or just shut it down for the duration of whatthetech working with me? And I will remove the files ESET identified. Also I will run pcpitstop as soon as a get the chance. Thanks in advance, hopefully we can figure out what is going cuckoo in this machine.
Hi eggsarecool,

Finals can be hectic and stressful, but also represent an achievement of weathering through the term and now preparing yourself for the results.
I was never able to "just breeze through" finals, but generally did appreciate the relief that followed when they were completed.
I'll wish you good luck, since sometimes chance does play into the proceedings; as in if the instructor selects a section to emphasize which you may or may not have featured in your own preparation. Otherwise, I'll just hold to the knowledge that "preparation" is what we all do and continue to do in order to better meet the challenges that continue throughout life. Best to you.

As to uTorrents and any other P2P utility and any possibly ill-gotten results, I think I've expressed my concerns sufficiently.
Uninstall is preferrable for the utilities and delete is necessary for the products.

As to PCPitstop OverDrive, I anticipate that you may even enjoy getting the overview of your machine's functionality.
It's a handy tool and can give us a better idea of where to focus our efforts.

Since I'm subscribed to this Topic Thread, I'll get notified automatically when you post the results link and any other further information or questions.
We've got some excellent Techs on staff here at WTT. Results can't be guaranteed, but you've certainly come to a location that is rich in resources.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI