Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox using up 1.5-2gigs of memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 meintool

meintool

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

Well the other day my computer was infected by a nasty virus which i was lucky to receive help from a members here in removing it everything went fine and my computer is running great except mozilla....everytime i open mozilla cpu usages goes up to 99% and mozilla ends up using almost 2gigs of memory then my computer locks up and i cant do anything until its done being stupid when i open task manager the memory usage indicater next to mozilla jumps anywhere from 20,000k to nearly 1million k now this doesnt happen on my laptop that uses mozilla and is on the same network connection when i go to performance tab in task manager when mozilla is in the process of using this much memory my available physical memory goes down to practically Zero my commit charge is maxed PF usage says 1.15 to 2.0GB and cpu usage is at 100% any idea on whats causing this? it is extremely painful to browse the internet with mozilla acting this way and i refuse to use IE7 for anything other than windows updates so if anyone can provide me with some suggestions on how to fix this issue that would be spectacular..thanks in advance Edit: Also forgot to Note that sometimes when this happens i get a script error message saying that the script might be busy and i can continue or stop the script i usually just stop the script and it continues working normally as it should until i try to load another page then the same thing happens this script message doesnt come up all the time only some times

Edited by meintool, 18 February 2009 - 05:07 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 meintool

meintool

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

i also wanted to note that no matter what..everytime i load a new page in firefox, firefox's memory usages goes up to atleast 400,000k and brings my and brings my PF usage to 1.15gigs brings my physical memory Available: to almost 0 there is also another process in task manager that is using up alot of resources and ive never seen it before or maybe i just never payed attention to it but its image name: is System User Name : SYSTEM MEM Usage anywhere from 29,000k to 61,000k this process(if it was in my computer before the virus) has never used this much memory..so pretty much ever since i removed the virus my memory usage has been terrible firefox uses anywhere from 20,000k to 700,000k this System process(which has no extension) uses 60,000k PF usage goes to over 1.5gigs available Physical memory goes to almost zero my peak Commit charge(K)at the moment is 1172920 Limit: is 2520048 i have no idea whats going on but when im sitting on a webpage after it loads and my computer is idle my cpu is at 0% and PF usage is at average 300mb Physical memory is 700,000 to almost 1,000,000 so this problem only happens when i am loading web pages someone help PLEASE!!! i will forever be your ###### i should also note that after the virus was removed from the computer i downloaded Sunbelt personal firewall and AVG i had to configure some websites to work with sunbelt but other than that they are both working great....this problem with firefox has never happened before getting this virus before removing this virus or before having these firewall and anti virus programs installed ....so i dont know if its one of them causing it

Edited by meintool, 18 February 2009 - 06:03 PM.

#3 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

Hi meintool

Sounds like you need to make a clean re-install of Firefox.
But before going ahead with that, if you want to save your
bookmarks, you should download Mozbackup, and save
them. But only bookmarks, not user-profile.

Mozbackup:http://mozbackup.jas...m/download.php

Next you should do the clean re-install, following this guide(including removing user-profile):

http://kb.mozillazin...talling_Firefox

Download Firefox and install.

Regards

Edited by Abydos, 18 February 2009 - 06:36 PM.

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#4 meintool

meintool

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

ok well i was in the process of removing and reinstalling mozilla (i was using IE) and IE was acting the exact same way firefox was upwards of 700,000k memory usage makes my pc unusable until it stops using so much memory which usually takes about 2minutes for it to go back to normal....so its definitely not firefox that was causing it since its happening in IE aswell but i still reinstalled Mozilla any other suggestions? this is ridiculous if a webbrowser is open i pretty much cant use my computer ...lame

#5 meintool

meintool

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

you know im starting to think it is the sunbelt firewall because i disabled it and now its not doing it anymore :-\

#6 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hi

you know im starting to think it is the sunbelt firewall because i disabled it and now its not doing it anymore :-\

Ok, sounds great :thumbup: I was just going to ask about quoted below, and
what happened after.

nevermind after my internet browsers open atleast once after rebooting windows they open nearly instantly every other time after the first time they are opened so it seems everything is good my pc is now working faster than my brand new laptop thats not even 2 weeks old yet so i would say it seems fixed smile.gif im soo friggin happy you are an amazing god smile.gif

I can't say what went wrong with the Sunbelt Firewall (don't know the product). Personally I use Comodo.
But good you found the cause of your problems.

Regards

Abydos

#7 meintool

meintool

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

so you have no problems with comodo? maybe i should try it

#8 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

so you have no problems with comodo? maybe i should try it

Just remember, that what works well on one system, may not be great on another.
Comodo is a fairly advanced Firewall, and needs some time to getting used to.
That said, it is one of the best free alternatives out there. I don't have any problems
with it.

Regards

Abydos

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Are you sure your computer is free of malware? Even though disabling your firewall seems to have fixed the problem, the symptoms you described make me very suspicious.

Can you post a link to your malware thread?

Never mind I found it. Reading through it now.

You last posted HJT looks clean except for PnkBstrA.exe which is installed with some newer games and is not a problem according to Processlibrary.com.

So, I guess malware can be ruled out.

Comodo firewall is excellent, but very chatty when you first install it. You can place it in Training mode for awhile to help with the transition. I see you are running AVG 8 which is good, so you don't want the Comodo Internet Security Suite (free) which has AV and Firewall, you want just the Firewall.

The older Comodo Firewall Pro is still available or you can download Comodo Internet Security but when you install it, install just the Firewall.

Edited by Ztruker, 18 February 2009 - 08:30 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#10 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Techs, Would it be helpful to know what process's are using the resources? meintool, Can you open taskmanager and find out? Use ALT/CTRL/DEL (all3 keys at same time). Can you see what's using all the resources?

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom