Hi hope you can help me,
I recently bought a PB sw51-b-012 with power board failure. I changed the power board and the laptop now works perfectly off AC power. The trouble is that when I insert a battery the laptop suddenly switches off after a few seconds and cannot then be restarted until the battery is removed.
I bought a second battery but still the same, then I bought a replacement motherboard and still the problem continues…….
Please could you shed some light on what may be going on here. Thanks. :-)
I fear it's a short of some kind, it's the only thing I can think of to cause such a reaction, problem is finding where this is, it probably needs someone with knowledge of using a meter to find where the short is, there is no easy answer for this, only the person with the problem can do what is needed here, you can strip it down and check for any shorts, possible solder crossing over areas(s) of the PCB(s), the terminals and adjoining wires, but the fact the power board went suggests there was a big surge possibly, as such it could of burnt out areas that the battery connects with.
I don't know what else is left after the parts you have replaced, but I'd look at checking those out for signs of damage, I would also avoid putting the battery back in until your confident you have found and fixed the problem, or you may damage the new parts you have bought already, the fact the AC works suggests you have cured that issue, but you need to check the battery circuitry to see where that is shorting out, not much help I'm afraid, but there are no easy answers here, only a warning, messing with battery's and AC power "could" worst case cause a fire or worse if your not qualified to do such jobs, you sound like you should be ok, but I'd be crazy not to warn of the worst case for those that are not safe to do such jobs, hope this helps a bit anyway.
Thanks for your reply.
I'd feared that this might be the case. If so then I would need to get hold a the schematic for this laptop. I've had a look on-line in the usual places but no joy. Would you know where I might be able to get hold of them?
Hi thanks for your speedy reply.
Unfortunately this assembly/disassembly pdf doesn't contain the schematic of the motherboard I was hoping it would.
I need the electronic schematic for this laptops mobo.
I have also searched but have come up short. It seems trying to discover one is going to prove difficult. :-(
Yes such things are rarely released by the makers, they obviously want you to go back to them and pay for them to do such things, but I don't get why you need one of the mobo ?
You have replaced the motherboard I thought you said, as such this "should" be fine, and the fact it works from the mains supports this, but I have found other links in the hope one helps:- http://www.computerusermanual.com/user-man…ser-Manual.html I suggest using a throw away email address for this. http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/525…rd%20Bell_.html I fear this may be a generic P/B guide, but it may help.
Solved!!! It turns out it was the battery after all. Tried a 3rd battery and the laptop works fine now. Hard to believe the two original batteries were both dud. Thanks for all your help. :-)
Thats one that will mess your head up, you buy a new product and expect it to work, but when your already problem solving an issue for the same reason, the last thing you would suspect is the new replacement to also be at fault, problem is without a like system to test it on how do you know if it's good or bad, you just expect it to work and end up chasing ghosts when it doesn't, great finding out by you there, and glad all is well again.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI