Hello, I have a problem with my ASUS G73SW-AX1 laptop.
1) When I plug in the charger, my laptop will turn on automatically without pressing the power button.
2) After a moment the laptop will turn off without post.
3) When the charger is plugged in and just turned off, I press the power button on but it turns off quicker than before.
3) The screen stays blank.
4) Lights turn on, but no flashing or code.
5) Fans start to spin.
I have recently bought this computer on ebay and had an issue with the power socket, but accidentally fried the power due to a faulty charger that connected to the casing on the socket.
So I bought a new motherboard for this system, but I have heard there were problems with the logic chip in the sandy board. I think the revision I bought (REV.1.1) had some of the motherboards recalled, though I don't see how this is affects the power.
I haven't checked each ram slot, cpu or the (gpu) heatsink individually yet, mostly because I think it might not be the issue.
I have tried to turn on the laptop with just the battery - it looks like there is no charge in it.
Also turning on with just the charger has the same problem.
I have tried with two seperate chargers (including the faulty charger that is missing the silicon around the plug, the other charger is not an ASUS brand, but is almost identical).
Any ideas?
My possible solutions:
—Buy a new motherboard with the correct revision code (REV.2.0).
—Buy a new charger with the ASUS brand.
—Buy a new cpu (not a cougar, which is the problem with the sandy board).
Thank you so much for reading this, any comments will be helpful! (Sorry if you are thinking TL;DR!).
It would be better to choose one source of assistance (at a time) and stick with it for a few days until either the problem is solved or it is found that it cannot be solved at long range, by forum responses, and then move on as necessary.
1 Some extra questions for you:
1 when you purchased the laptop via ebay did it work satisfactorily?
2 How long did it work (post purchase by you) before the problem started?
3 What was the "issue" with the power socket….description please and how it was resolved.
4 more information needed on the "faulty charger" please….. was it set up with reverse polarity? had it been modified in any way? was it the correct voltage and power output for the laptop/? and was the plug correctly wired to suit the polarity?
5 If the power socket (attached to the motherboard) was replaced/repaired/examined, was this done in a proper workshop environment with experienced technicians taking all short circuit and ESD (anti static) precautions?
6 Was the motherboard replaced under conditions as set out in 5 above?
7 Was the replacement motherboard, new, properly packaged, and the correct one for the computer? how long is the guarantee/warranty on it?
8 Finally have you reseated the RAM?
Sorry for all the extra questions…… but this laptop seems to have had an "interesting" life….. and it's important to know the details so some recommendations can be made.
Regards
paws
It would be better to choose one source of assistance( at atime) and stick with it for a few days until either the problem is solved or it is found that it cannot be solved at long range, by forum responses, and then move on as necessary.
1 Some extra questions for you:
1 when you purchased the laptop via ebay did it work satisfactorily?
2 How long did it work (post purchase by you) before the problem started?
3 What was the "issue" with the power socket….description please and how it was resolved.
4 more information needed on the "faulty charger" please….. was it set up with reverse polarity? had it been modified in any way? was it the correct voltage and power output for the laptop/? and was the plug correctly wired to suit the polarity?
5 If the power socket (attached to the motherboard) was replaced/repaired/examined, was this done in a proper workshop environment with experienced technicians taking all short circuit and ESD (anti static) precautions?
6 Was the motherboard replaced under conditions as set out in 5 above?
7 Was the replacement motherboard, new, properly packaged, and the correct one for the computer? how long is the guarantee/warranty on it?
8 Finally have you reseated the RAM?
Sorry for all the extra questions…… but this laptop seems to have had an "interesting" life….. and it's important to know the details so some recommendations can be made.
Regards
paws
The laptop didn't work at all when I bought it. The problem the seller described was that when he pushes down the charger into the power socket it would gain power to the board. My solution was to get a new power socket and solder that onto the board. Unfortunately the charger has an issue where the black tip at the end has come off exposing the metal, therefore when I was trying to see whether or not I had succeded in soldering I connected to the ground (the outside of the socket) and it shorted.
I resolved this issue with buying a new motherboard.
I did the soldering my self, making very sure there was no static.
The ASUS charger is 100~240V ~ 2.0A, 50-60Hz 19.5V, 7.7A. The new charger is 100~240V ~ 50-60Hz, 2.5A, 19V, 7.9A.
I have been reinstalled the motherboard twice now, but still have not tried the individual components seperatley (e.g. each ram stick).
Hi StiBon,
This is not looking good, and I doubt whether trying to fix it at long range via a forum is going to be easy….
In a well equipped workshop it would be relatively easy to discover what has gone wrong with this computer….. do you have a local competent computer technician who could run a mobo tester, test the PSU and check for any short circuits twix motherboard and ground (earth)…?
In the absence of any activity either from fans, LED's lighting, vibrations from the hard drive etc etc it looks like the computer has major problems and this could be the reason why it was being sold on ebay?….
The replacement PSU should just about be ok in respect of voltage, however the undervoltage of 0.5v just could be enough to cause a problem….. However mostly the machine should start up and run at 19v despite the correct voltage required being 19.5v…its just that the charging of the battery whilst the machine is being run takes longer than the time normally required. Connecting a PSU with incorrect socket/plug polarity is likely to destroy the mobo in very quick time. (less than one second)
As the motherboard is presumably still under guarantee I would be inclined to send it back for an exchange.
Sorry I cannot be more positive
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI