Hello
I've purchased a replacement battery for my Sony Vaio laptop (not a genuine Sony battery). When the battery is inserted into the laptop a message comes up 'cannot detect battery'. I've had to run a setup.exe cd (supplied with the battery) which updates the BIOS files which in turn, I assume, updates drivers to recognise a non-Sony battery. The new battery inserted for the first time, was working fine until it reached 100% charged. Since then, each time the new battery is inserted the message 'cannot detect battery' pops up. The laptop works ok with the old battery or no battery. Would anyone be able to help? - thanks.
Maz. I would deal with the vendor of the battery. It sounds like a defective battery.
Personally, I would be very leary of some disc provided to update the BIOS of a notebook to make it recognize a non-genuine battery. If this is anything other than a certified BIOS update provided by Sony I would immediately reflash your BIOS with the newest one provided by Sony and insist I get my money back for this battery.
Hi appleoddity,
Thanks for the advice - I'll get back to the supplier. You've slightly worried me about the BIOS disk. How do I reflash my BIOS with the newest one provided by Sony?
Thanks,
Maz
It will involve visiting the Sony support website and inputting the model number or serial number of your laptop. Review the downloads and instructions that are available for your particular laptop model. Provided will be the most recent flash BIOS update with instructions. You should probably install that. Follow the instructions carefully and do not guess. An inproper flash can leave your laptop useless.
Please help! I have a similar problem. I bought a replacement battery for my SONY VAIO VGN-FW198U. The purchase was from Amazon.com so I assumed that it would be original Sony Battery but now it appears it is not. The CD-RoM that came with the Battery is empty so I cannot even te the BIOS as stipulated in the Brochure. What can I do? Most of the Instructions are in Chinese and there is no web address of the manufacturer. I am stuck.
Cheers.
IBK
Hi, Sorry to hear about the battery problem…
It may be wise to follow appleodditie's earlier advice.
If you buy something and it doesn't work then go back to the vendor and either get a replacement ( One that works!) or get a refund.
A defective battery can not only be an irritation to you, but can also be a safety hazard…. so don't take chances. If in any doubt only use the officially approved Sony battery as this should be correctly specified and will have passed the Sony prescribed safety and quality control tests.
I don't want to alarm you unnecessarily, but defective batteries in laptop/notebook computers have caused fires etc in the past so it's important to be careful and only use the officially approved battery.
Regards
paws
Thanks Paws,
I work for an international organization in South Sudan. The logistics of securing these items are huge challenges. A friend going for training in Washington had a window of 2 days to collect an bring the item to me in Juba. Now I am in Lagos and I do not have the faintest clue of how to return or obtain a refund. I guess I will have to return to Amazon.com for assistance.
Thank you very much.
Cheers.
IBK