Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

openvpn and cryptocard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hello I am looking for someway to enhance my wifi security as I drive to Fl from MD, stay in FL then return. I have read about the two programs above and am asking for an opinion about using them. Verizon offers free wifi with security but I have Comcast.

Edited by Peter1, 02 March 2012 - 12:33 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

to be honest peter i don't think you need any more protection than what your already using.
nothing is going to make using an unknown wi-fi signal on your travels 100% safe or even in my opinion any safer than the security you already have installed.

some more reading for you peter. :D

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

http://mobileoffice....ot-security.htm

take your router with you and where possible use that at the hotels that have wired connections and only connect wireless to it.

i know some have said you don't need your router because your using the hotels router but personally using yours will protect you against anyone else who may also be on the hotels network.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 02 March 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

When I travel, I use Virgin Mobile.
It runs on the Sprint Network.

Take a look at the plans they offer from the link above.

Last time I used it, I traveled rural roads from northern California to south west Washington state.
I never lost signal at any time, and was able to use my laptop even while traveling on the highway and at the very remote destination in rural Washington.

I also used it at Portland international airport, where all the other poor schmucks were logging into local shared wifi hotspots at peril of any hacker in the next row of seats. I got great dedicated connection via Sprint and nobody could gain access to my connection.

Login with username and password just like you would at home, and use the same security utilities you use on your machine at home.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

good suggestion Doug, forget about using wi-fi and use the 3/4g telephone networks instead. :thumbup: :popcorn:

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

When I travel, I use Virgin Mobile.
It runs on the Sprint Network.

Take a look at the plans they offer from the link above.

Last time I used it, I traveled rural roads from northern California to south west Washington state.
I never lost signal at any time, and was able to use my laptop even while traveling on the highway and at the very remote destination in rural Washington.

I also used it at Portland international airport, where all the other poor schmucks were logging into local shared wifi hotspots at peril of any hacker in the next row of seats. I got great dedicated connection via Sprint and nobody could gain access to my connection.

Login with username and password just like you would at home, and use the same security utilities you use on your machine at home.

>>I'll get back to you but I think we could not believe that VM covered everything in FL except Naples at the very tip.
It even covered Key West. I'll give them a call -maybe all the old goats like me in SW FL don't have pcs as VM seems to have excluded only that area. We were all set to sign up.

#6 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

to be honest peter i don't think you need any more protection than what your already using.
nothing is going to make using an unknown wi-fi signal on your travels 100% safe or even in my opinion any safer than the security you already have installed.

some more reading for you peter. :D

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

http://mobileoffice....ot-security.htm

take your router with you and where possible use that at the hotels that have wired connections and only connect wireless to it.

i know some have said you don't need your router because your using the hotels router but personally using yours will protect you against anyone else who may also be on the hotels network.

:popcorn:

>>There are two sides to this. Some say it will cause a conflict using mine with their set up and you say it is better protection. I like your idea cause I love my router.
I don't know which is correct.

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

I just wanted you to know that Virgin Mobile does have data coverage in Naples FL. The coverage on the way down is only a little spotty but it is there. Of course there are various plans. One has a mifi device for 130 and the other, wifi is 80. . The hours vary from 5 to 120 or 100 mb to 2.5 GB. We hardly travel so we have to crunch numbers and practicality. Thank you for the help.

#8 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

I bought the Ovation MC760, thinking to use it exclusively for my laptop. It was one of those "need-to-buy" situations in which an anticipated out of town trip took me away from maintenance of a daily business that coincidentally could not be covered during that period by others who were simply unavailable at the time. I've since thought it would-have/could-have been better to purchase the MiFi2200 for a few dollars more and allowing simultaneous internet access for more than one device. During the trip, I did have other machines belonging to travel-mates, and ended up installing my Ovation upon their machines and then sharing by loaning the Ovation device back-and-forth when they wanted access and I could do without. That sharing kinda/sorta worked, but I would probably now prefer to have purchased the MiFi.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for that last bit of information about the mifi. It is a bit pricy at 130 for us as we travel only now and then. I have seen mifis for VM at 1/2 that price but I am not sure I want to buy from a 3rd party then thry to use their service. Still looking around. Comcast used to have a 2go plan but it fizzled.