This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Infected with redirect virus please help

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I hope someone here can help. My laptop has recently been infected with the same virus as 'thatguy89'. Norton did it's best, but still hasn't gotten rid of it. I also used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and that found a lot more hiding bits and pieces, but I'm still getting the pop-ups. I dowloaded and ran OTL. I tried pasting, but I kept getting a block. I'm trying attaching. Hopefully that works. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

**In any case where you happen to be busy or unable to give us a reply, we would be grateful if you keep us informed in advance and we will be more than happy to wait. Failure to do so we will have your thread closed in THREE(3) days. :)


Hello there, sst4270

:welcome:

I'm Conspire, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Read the entire procedure
  • It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with me till you're given the all clear.
  • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
  • Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to. Remember to backup all your important data(if possible) before moving on.

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

[external image: Posted Image]
  • Please download GMER from one of the following locations, and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zip Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop (applicable only to Zip mirror) .
  • Double click [external image: Posted Image] or [external image: Posted Image] on your desktop.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.
    [external image: Posted Image]

    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in your reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<β€” ROOKIT" entries


β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

Please download aswMBR.exe and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click aswMBR.exe to start the tool. (Vista/Windows 7 users - right click to run as administrator)
  • Click Scan

  • Upon completion of the scan, click Save log and save it to your desktop, and post that log in your next reply for review. Note - do NOT attempt any Fix yet.
  • You will also notice another file created on the desktop named MBR.dat. Right click that file and select Send To>Compressed (zipped) file. Attach that zipped file in your next reply as well.
===================================================

On your next reply please post :
GMER log
aswMBR log


Let me know if you have any problems in performing with the steps above or any questions you may have.

Good Day!
Hello Conspire, Thank you so much for the reply and the assistance. I tried running the GMER scan 6 times. Everytime my computer would blue screen and shut down at some point during the scan. I was never able to get GMER to complete a scan. I did not proceed with the other aswMBR scan you recommended. I believe that this virus has corrupted my registry quite deeply. I will be wiping the harddrive and reformatting. Thank-you for your time. Regards, sst4270

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI