This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

My computer freezes randomly

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer keeps freezing randomly. It freezes even in Safe Mode. It freezes while I'm transferring data and it even freezes while I'm running programs and it froze while I was typing this. I would keep forcing it on and off and it would freeze sometimes in 5 minutes and other times in an hour. It drives me crazy and I don't know what to do.
Hi Maly, and welcome to the WTT forums..
Sorry to hear about the problem with your computer…..
This must be pretty frustrating for you…..
Here's a quick test you can perform to identify if its a hardware issue or a Windows or software issue.
Download a Live distro of Linux Puppy from here:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%…g%20Started.htm
burn the CD as an image ( a copy won't work it must be as an image….)… ImgBurn is good for this, available here:
http://www.imgburn.com/
Set your computer to boot from the CD and follow onscreen directions…..
Puppy will run entirely within RAM on most fairly modern computers and does not need Windows at all( it is an alternative and free operating system….

If Puppy runs OK then you can be fairly sure that your hardware is OK and that its a Windows or software issue that is causing the problem.

Post back with how you got on and full details ,make and model number of your computer, all peripheral devices attached, your operating system and service pack level, and your make and model number of your modem/router/Wireless Access Point…. and we will advide the next steps
Regards
paws
I've always wondered just how much ram Puppy Linux really needs (?)

From Bruce B in the Puppy Linux forum:

I think a user would find 256MB comfortable enough to enjoy Puppy for most purposes.

128MB you could get along with, but it wouldn't be so much fun. Not so much because of Puppy, but the large apps such as Firefox.

A person could do very well at 128 by cutting unnecessary services and using a browser such as Dillo or Links with graphic built in. But these browsers are not as fine as Firefox, Opera or SeaMonkey.

I have 512MB and don't need that much, but I'd still like to have more.

And regardless of the amount of RAM, I think one should use a swap device.


Cheers,
Lee
Yes, I agree, I find 128MB is fine…and I have no trouble running a browser with it…. If using earlier versions (pre v4.3) I can get along Ok with 64Mb…but most of my customers seem to have a bit more RAM than that these days…. Some of my customers (bless 'em!) reckon that any computer referred to as "modern" must mean one built up to say 15 years ago or so!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI