This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet Connection issues - need to enter a site's url 2x

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an issue that may stem from some Malware (this was addressed with jeffce's help - http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…p;#entry772379)

When I enter a web url the first time I get an error message. If I click Diagnose Connection problem (in IE) it says no problems were found and then when I refresh the browser page the web page works and opening other browsers works fine as well. There is always a lag as well when I get the internet working. I also get "Puresight" pages from time to time when I try to go to websites.

error message
in IE: "Internet Explore Cannot Display this webpage" [Diagnose Connection Problem] (if i click that it says "Windows did not find any problems with this computer"

in Chrome: Unable to Connect to the internet. Google Chrome can't display the webpage because your computer is not connected to the internet." Then the Page Unresponsive box pop-ups with Kill pages or Wait

In both browsers, if i renter a url it then starts to work. I tried Safari and the same thing happens with that.

I know it is not the connection or wire as I've used it on my laptop without any issues.

Here is the PC Pitstop test: http://pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=24783818
I see you have a variety of malware/spyware software installed, MSE, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy. The last two were good for a while with XP but have outlived their usefulness (for me anyway). Is TeaTimer active in Spybot? If so, try disabling it.

If that doesn't help, start uninstalling all things Yahoo, Google and Bing. You can reinstall the ones you still want to use after checking to see if any of them are causing the problem.

You also have several old version of Java installed that need to be uninstalled. The current release is JRE 6 U30 which you do have.

If none of that helps, try this: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
did all of the above and still having issues. I even installed a new NIC. It seems that Puresights and CA Security sweet are still lingering around. I installed WinPatrol to see what was running at startup and as services and there was a "Host Intrusion Prevention" from CA and WinSoc Extention Manager- MDMCLS32.exe and Winsock Svchost Manager - SVCPRS32.exe that was running under services. i stopped and disabled those and now IE loads up in one shot, Chrome still hangs for a while then loads right away if i just enter google.com
Nope, nothing attached. You have to use the Browse, Upload and Manage Current Attachments buttons and drop downs below the message input area to attach anything. You also need to zip it as there are only a few file types allowed for upload here, zip being one of them.
the removal tool worked. i no longer have the computer with me and couldn't resend the zip file. thanks for you help as i've couldn't find that tool.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI