My pleasure How's the computer running now? Any outstanding issues?
I'd like for you to run aswMBR once more and post the log.
I'd also like for you to run ESET Online Scanner.
*Note It is recommended to disable onboard antivirus program and antispyware programs while performing scans so there are no conflicts and it will speed up scan time.
Please don't go surfing while your resident protection is disabled!
Once the scan is finished remember to re-enable your antivirus along with your antispyware programs.
Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
ESET OnlineScan
Click the [external image: Posted Image] button.
For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
Click on [external image: Posted Image] to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
Double click on the [external image: Posted Image] icon on your desktop.
Check [external image: Posted Image]
Click the [external image: Posted Image] button.
Accept any security warnings from your browser.
Check [external image: Posted Image]
Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked
Push the Start button.
ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin
scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
When the scan completes, push [external image: Posted Image]
Push [external image: Posted Image], and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as
ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
I will get on that as soon as I get home tonight…I really want this over with, I am buying MS Office finally and want to install it like yesterday, but I'm assuming that wouldn't be a smart thing to do while trying to clean this thing out. Am I right in that assumption?
Hi Levijudah,
I know you do :). We should be done after you complete these steps. Then we can clean up the tools we used and get you back up and running. It would be best to wait until after you complete the last set of steps before installing Office. We can clean up the tools we used afterwards.
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:
Updates
It is very important that you keep your Operating System and applications up to date so that you will be less susceptible to malware.
It's a good idea to have Windows Update automatically download and install updates as they become available.
Secunia Online Software Inspector is a great tool that will tell you which of your applications are outdated and vulnerable to attack.
Run Anti-Virus Software
For an excellent list of free anti virus software, free online virus scanners, free spyware detection/removal and free firewalls, click here.
IMPORTANT! Please make sure you only have ONE firewall and ONE real-time antivirus installed on your system.
When using "on demand" scanners, first update the detection signature files, then disconnect from the internet and disable your resident security program before running the scan.
Once complete, remember to re-engage your resident security before going online.
Passwords
It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection.
This is a good time to set up protection against further attacks. In light of your recent problem, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please read these well written articles:
How to Prevent Malware by miekiemoes
PC Safety and Security–What Do I Need?
Additional Software
To help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs if you do not already have them:
SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, blocks cookies, and restricts the actions of "bad" sites. See tutorial here
MVPS HOSTS FILE replaces your current HOSTS file with one that will restrict known ad sites from serving you unsolicited advertisements.
Google Chrome is a great alternative to Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Follow these steps, keep your antivirus program and antispyware programs updated, and scan with them on a regular basis. By doing so, your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Hopefully this should take care of your problems! Good luck.
Do you have any further questions?
**Please respond one more time to confirm your problem is resolved so I can close this thread.