Hi, My computer started acting funny - locking up a couple weeks ago. I pulled off PUP's with malware bytes. My antivirus software never picked up a problem. Super Antispyware updates began to be blocked around this time. Shortly after that Malwarebytes no longer was able to be updated. I was going to come to this site for help but before I could the whole system crashed. I ended up having to reset just to get back on. Since the reset Norton antivirus is back on my computer - I had best buy set this computer up and they were supposed to remove all traces of Norton and so it wouldn't interfere with my antivirus software and things. I want to see if there is any sign of infection on this machine. I would love help ridding myself of Norton as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
.
UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED, DO NOT POST THIS LOG.
IF REQUESTED, ZIP IT UP & ATTACH IT
.
DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01)
.
Microsoft Windows 8
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Install Date: 4/19/2014 8:14:05 AM
System Uptime: 4/19/2014 7:49:29 AM (34 hours ago)
.
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard | | 2AF3
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz | SOCKET 0 | 3001/100mhz
.
==== Disk Partitions =========================
.
C: is FIXED (NTFS) - 1844 GiB total, 1804.442 GiB free.
D: is FIXED (NTFS) - 18 GiB total, 2.234 GiB free.
E: is Removable
F: is Removable
G: is Removable
H: is Removable
I: is CDROM ()
.
==== Disabled Device Manager Items =============
.
==== System Restore Points ===================
.
RP3: 4/20/2014 4:08:04 PM - Windows Update
.
==== Installed Programs ======================
.
4 Elements II
7-Zip 9.20 (x64 edition)
Airport Mania
Azteca
Bejeweled 3
Bonjour
Bounce Symphony
Build-a-lot
Cradle Of Egypt Collector's Edition
Cradle of Rome 2
Curse at Twilight
CyberLink LabelPrint
CyberLink Media Suite 10
Cyberlink PhotoDirector
CyberLink Power2Go 8
CyberLink PowerDirector 10
CyberLink PowerDVD
D3DX10
Delicious: Emily's Childhood Memories Premium Edition
DisableMSDefender
Farm Frenzy
Governor of Poker 2 Premium Edition
Hewlett-Packard ACLM.NET v1.2.1.1
House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets
HP Connected Music (Meridian - installer)
HP Customer Experience Enhancements
HP MyRoom
HP Postscript Converter
HP Quick Start
HP Registration Service
HP Support Assistant
HP Support Information
IDT Audio
Intel(R) Management Engine Components
Intel(R) Processor Graphics
Intel(R) SDK for OpenCL - CPU Only Runtime Package
Intel® Trusted Connect Service Client
Jewel Match 3
Luxor Evolved
Mah Jong Medley
Mahjongg Dimensions Deluxe: Tiles in Time
Microsoft Application Error Reporting
Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium - en-us
Microsoft SkyDrive
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.51106
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.51106
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x64 Additional Runtime - 11.0.51106
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x64 Minimum Runtime - 11.0.51106
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x86 Additional Runtime - 11.0.51106
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x86 Minimum Runtime - 11.0.51106
Movie Maker
MSVCRT
MSVCRT110
MSVCRT110_amd64
Mystery P.I. - Curious Case of Counterfeit Cove
Norton Internet Security
Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component
Office 15 Click-to-Run Licensing Component
Office 15 Click-to-Run Localization Component
Peggle Nights
Photo Common
Photo Gallery
Plants vs. Zombies - Game of the Year
Polar Bowler
Ralink Bluetooth Stack64
Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter
Recovery Manager
Roads of Rome 3
Royal Envoy 2 Collector's Edition
Tales of Lagoona
Update Installer for WildTangent Games App
Vacation Quest™ - Australia
WildTangent Games
WildTangent Games App (HP Games)
Windows Live Communications Platform
Windows Live Essentials
Windows Live Installer
Windows Live Photo Common
Windows Live PIMT Platform
Windows Live SOXE
Windows Live SOXE Definitions
Windows Live UX Platform
Windows Live UX Platform Language Pack
Youda Jewel Shop
Zuma's Revenge
.
==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========
.
4/20/2014 5:35:25 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10016] - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {B77C4C36-0154-4C52-AB49-FAA03837E47F} and APPID {EA022610-0748-4C24-B229-6C507EBDFDBB} to the user purple\l SID (S-1-5-21-2497467096-1107912187-4260812050-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
4/19/2014 9:48:14 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7023] - The Network List Service service terminated with the following error: The device is not ready.
4/19/2014 9:48:13 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7023] - The IP Helper service terminated with the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
4/19/2014 9:47:43 AM, Error: volmgr [46] - Crash dump initialization failed!
.
==== End Of File ===========================
My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link –> http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_Disable_your_Security_Programs_t96260.html
Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall. 2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions. 3. ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making I-E the default browser. 4. CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.
Let's get an online scan. I think you've ran this before… but it will take a long, long time to run.
Go here to run an online scanner from ESET.
Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
Click Start
When asked, allow the activeX control to install
Click Start
Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
Click Scan
Wait for the scan to finish
When the scan completes, press the LIST OF THREATS FOUND button
Press EXPORT TO TEXT FILE , name the file ESETSCAN and save it to your desktop
Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
Hi, sorry took so long to get back to this. I am in the final 2 weeks of an internship and am way overly busy.
Here is what ESET found.
C:\Users\l\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\FUIAQW27\co[1].htm HTML/Iframe.B.Gen virus
Also after I uninstalled Norton I installed AVAST. It tells me it found "another network" I do not understand this. It says the local name is purple.wi.rr.com and I have a bunch of other info. It looks like it is associated with our router and internet provider but I just don't understand what is going on.
I don't know what is going on there. If it was [removed] then it would be a Time Warner webmail address. I have seen access points set up by ISP's that carry a local name that is the clients email (seems like a dumb system to me) but typically they are hidden so they aren't actually transmitting email addresses to the public. It is not unusual for a wireless router to find multiple networks… but having Norton installed or not should not effect that.
Sorry Norton did not affect anything just an unnecessary part of the story that was in the steps I took.
My local name purple.wi.rr.com [fe80::4270:989b:49cl] My internet name cpe-184-59-58-238 wi.res.rr.com [184.59.58.238] ISP: Time Warner Cable Internet LLC Network Name Time Warner Cable Internet LLC REaltek PCIe GBE.US Routers address 00-18*F8-B8-7D-3A Router manufacturer Cisco Linksys
It tells me it found "another network" I do not understand this. It says the local name is purple.wi.rr.com and I have a bunch of other info. It looks like it is associated with our router and internet provider but I just don't understand what is going on.
I don't understand. Can you please clarify what is wrong and what is correct?
I don't know why there is "another network" the road runner address is not mine. I have no idea what any of that other stuff means. We have a Linksys router.
Time Warner uses road runner for email. Your ISP is Time Warner. What is the road runner address that is not yours?
What is the "another network"?
Yes. Based upon the information you provided, you have a linksys router. What is the question you are having?
My local name purple.wi.rr.com [fe80::4270:989b:49cl]This is your wireless signal My internet name cpe-184-59-58-238 wi.res.rr.com [184.59.58.238]This is how your ISP finds you on the internet ISP: Time Warner Cable Internet LLCThis, obviously, is your ISP Network Name Time Warner Cable Internet LLC REaltek PCIe GBE.USThis is Time Warners network on the internet Routers address 00-18*F8-B8-7D-3AThis is your routers designation Router manufacturer Cisco LinksysThis tells you that you have a Linksys router that is manufactured by Cisco.
purple.wi.rr.com is not my email address I never heard of it before this.
When I installed Avast it told me it detected "another network" Another network implies it detected a second network. It listed all that information with this other network. Why would I have a second network with a local name that is an email address that I never heard of?