This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

I Need HELP {AGAIN} ... System Check - is this a virus? [Closed]

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

OK, I just got a new computer (win7) about the same time my old one(winXP) was being consumed by a .ping virus. I followed the directions here and got the majority of the virus out and then transfered some files to the new computer. Everything ran just fine for several days. Then, just a few minutes ago, I got a "warning" thing that the hard drive was messed up. Then a cascade of error messages. I assumed it was a virus, didn't click on anything, BUT I shut the computer off. When I tried to turn it back on, I get a "system check" thing that looks just like the "security" virus I had before. I can't get Kaspersky to run from the CD. I was using Microsoft Security Essentials, but can't get to anything or do anything from the safe mode with networking. All files appear empty and the only thing that seems to do anything is the system check. Is this another virus? And what should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Selene
Hi Selene - are you still having problems

Yup it does sound like a bad boy

I will need you to run the following programme twice, a different mode each time

RUN 1

Download RogueKiller to your desktop

  • Quit all running programs
  • For Vista/Seven, right click -> run as administrator, for XP simply run RogueKiller.exe
  • When prompted, type 2 and validate
  • The RKreport.txt shall be generated next to the executable.
  • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe
Please post the contents of the RKreport.txt in your next Reply.

RUN 2

  • Quit all running programs
  • For Vista/Seven, right click -> run as administrator, for XP simply run RogueKiller.exe
  • When prompted, type 6 and validate
  • The RKreport.txt shall be generated next to the executable.
  • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe
Please post the contents of the RKreport.txt in your next Reply.

NEXT

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    consrv.dll
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT /s
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBIOS /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\U\*.* /s
    %Temp%\smtmp\1\*.*
    %Temp%\smtmp\2\*.*
    %Temp%\smtmp\3\*.*
    %Temp%\smtmp\4\*.*
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

FINALLY

Download aswMBR.exe ( 1.8mb ) to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it Click the "Scan" button to start scan

[external image: Posted Image]

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

[external image: Posted Image]

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI