My internet's been running significantly slower than it normally is. I am unable to load certain websites and it takes a long time to load when using Google Image Search. Download speed has also slowed down and sometimes the download just stops and then cancels. It happens on several websites so I know it wasn't the website's server that was the problem. I primarily use Firefox so I tried IE and I had the same problems.
I found a solution on the internet that said that maybe I had a problem with the DNS settings and this is what I did using cmd:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /registerdns
netsh int ip reset reset.txt
netsh winsock reset catalog
Then I resetted the computer but no change. I full scanned my computer with avast, Spybot, CWShredder and Stinger but they found nothing. I also used CCleaner but nothing changed as well. The only other thing I haven't tried was calling my ISP and using HiJackThis so I thought I might try that first. Here's my log:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 2:49:42 PM, on 12/31/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Vtune\TBPanel.exe
C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\BitTorrent.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Samsung\Kies\KiesTrayAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Samsung\Kies\External\FirmwareUpdate\KiesPDLR.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
C:\CircleDock0.9.2Alpha8.2\CircleDock.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 12\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 12\plugin-container.exe
C:\windows-kb890830-v3.5.exe
d:\9b3c134dd61d352e9504655b\mrtstub.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MRT.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:8777;https=127.0.0.1:8777;
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: DAEMON Tools Toolbar - {32099AAC-C132-4136-9E9A-4E364A424E17} - C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Toolbar\DTToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PWRISOVM.EXE] C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrayServer] C:\Program Files\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_14_PLUS_Download_version\TrayServer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TBPanel] C:\Program Files\Vtune\TBPanel.exe /A
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\BitTorrent.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [KiesHelper] C:\Program Files\Samsung\Kies\KiesHelper.exe /s
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [KiesTrayAgent] C:\Program Files\Samsung\Kies\KiesTrayAgent.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [KiesPDLR] C:\Program Files\Samsung\Kies\External\FirmwareUpdate\KiesPDLR.exe
O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Startup: Rainmeter.lnk = C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe
O4 - Startup: Shortcut to CircleDock.lnk = C:\CircleDock0.9.2Alpha8.2\CircleDock.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Dragon Age: Origins - Content Updater (DAUpdaterSvc) - BioWare - D:\Games\Dragon Age\bin_ship\DAUpdaterSvc.Service.exe
O23 - Service: Firebird Server - MAGIX Instance (FirebirdServerMAGIXInstance) - MAGIX® - C:\Program Files\MAGIX\Common\Database\bin\fbserver.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Drive Defrag Service (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Program Statistics Service (TuneUp.ProgramStatisticsSvc) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe
–
End of file - 7122 bytes
I'm not a computer expert but looking at the log file, it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with my computer. Just need clarification on this
My name is patndoris. I will be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. It will be very helpful if you follow these guidelines:
Malware logs are often lengthy and can take a lot of time to research and interpret. Please be patient while I review your logs.
Please note that there is no "Quick Fix" to modern malware infections and we may need to use several different approaches to get your system clean.
Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
Please follow my instructions carefully and in the order they are posted. You may also find it helpful to print out the instructions you receive.
Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications or delete anything without being directed to do so.
Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone. Please stick with me till you're given the "all clear".
Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post.
Please reply within 3 days. If I do not hear back from you in that time frame, I will post a reminder for you. Topics with no reply in 4 days are closed!
Run Hijack This
Double click on the icon on your desktop to launch Hijack This
Click on the Scan button
When the scan has finished, please put a check in the box next to the following item:
Double click on CKScanner.exe and click Search For Files.
After a very short time, when the cursor hourglass disappears, click Save List To File. You will be prompted, click OK.
Post the contents of ckfiles.txt in your reply, it is located on your desktop.
P2P - I see you have P2P software ( BitTorrent ) installed on your machine. We are not here to pass judgment on file-sharing as a concept. However, we will warn you that engaging in this activity and having this kind of software installed on your machine will always make you more susceptible to re-infections. It likely contributed to your current situation. This page will give you further information.
Please note: Even if you are using a "safe" P2P program, it is only the program that is safe. You will be sharing files from uncertified sources, and these are often infected. The bad guys use P2P filesharing as a major conduit to spread their wares.
Please see this topic for more information: Perils of P2P File Sharing.
I would strongly recommend that you uninstall these now. You can do so via Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs.
If you choose to leave them on the machine, please refrain from using them while we are cleaning the machine to prevent further infection.
The fix in HijackThis is just a "quick fix" to hopefully give you a bit of immediate relief from the slowness. (It may not.) This is not really the tool we prefer to use to find malware these days. Let me know if this helped as well as posting the requested log and we'll go from there.
Hey there! Sorry I took a while to reply, I thought that after a few days after posting that people agreed with my guess that there was nothing wrong. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I realize now that you guys must be really busy.
Anyway, I did as you asked with HiJackThis and uninstalled BitTorrent.
Here's the result of the ckscanner:
CKScanner - Additional Security Risks - These are not necessarily bad
scanner sequence 3.MN.11.JNAPIE
—– EOF —–
Also the computer has started moving faster now, it's just a bit slow on startup because Tune Up Utilities said that the prefetch data was deleted. But after searching a bit, I discovered that Tune Up deletes the prefetch data for some reason. But that's just a speed issue right, nothing serious?
Sorry again for taking so long
I was hoping that you'd get a little improvement from the fix in HijackThis, but I knew that wasn't going to be all that we needed to do. I was quite sure that we were going to need to so some more scans and some fixes from there.
And, to answer your question about the prefetch data - when prefetch data is deleted in XP, the first few reboots can often be slow. After a couple of reboots, there would be no reason that it should continue to be slow, as the prefetch data is rebuilt again
I would like to ask a very important question here though. I see that you are running XP SP2. Is there any reason that you have chosen not to update to Service Pack 3?
Please read carefully and follow these steps. There is a difference between what you see in one of the images below and what I need you to do.
We are only creating a log - I do NOT want you to "cure" or try to fix anything in this step. It is very important that you don't choose Cure when presented with that option.
If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
HijackThis has largely been replaced by other tools. Since being acquired by TrendMicro, HijackThis has not been regularly updated. Many infections are now able to hide partly, or completely from a HijackThis scan. DDS includes all the scan locations of HijackThis and more.
Oh sorry I should have mentioned earlier, I updated to SP3 a few days ago.
Should I continue with the instructions?
I had TDSSKiller and used it last January 2 and it found and deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\sptd.sys
I ran it again January 7 and it found nothing.
Oh and startup is getting faster like you said
Well, honestly, given that you had a proxy showing in your HijackThis log, I really expected to see some symptoms of malware in this log, but I'm not.
I do see in your error logs that it appears your date and time settings on the machine may be off. You may want to check those as it can cause some other system issues but that would not likely be the cause of your slowness.
Let's run a couple more malware scans and see if they turn up anything that isn't showing in these logs. Different scans look in different places and no one scan finds everything..
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. [external image: Posted Image]
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.
This scan make take awhile depending on how many items are on the computer. You may want to run it at a time you won't be needing the machine. It should be run from IE and I'd recommend not doing anything else while it's running.
Please go to here to run the online scannner from ESET.
Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
Click Start
When asked, allow the activex control to install
Click Start
Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked, and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
Click on Advanced Settings and ensure these options are ticked:
Scan for potentially unwanted applications
Scan for potentially unsafe applications
Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
Click Scan
Wait for the scan to finish
If any threats were found, click the 'List of found threats' , then click Export to text file….
Save it to your desktop, then please copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Here's the malwarebytes scan
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.0.1800
www.malwarebytes.org
Database version: v2012.01.14.02
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512
user :: USER-5188DC22DE [administrator]
1/14/2012 10:03:47 PM
mbam-log-2012-01-14 (22-03-47).txt
Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 201659
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 54 second(s)
Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Keys Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Values Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Data Items Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Folders Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Files Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
(end)
I haven't run the other scan yet, but I did use CHKDSK and everything seems fine now. Internet's working up to speed. Do you think it solved my problem?
It is quite possible that it fixed the problem. It's also possible it was just an ISP glitch that fixed itself too.
I personally don't think you have anything to worry about at this point. I'll leave the thread open for a few days. If you want to run the other scan you can. If I don't hear back in a couple of days I'll go ahead and close out. I'll leave it up to you.
I truly don't see any malware on the machine and if the performance is back up to speed, I don't see any reason to think that another scan is going to find anything different - but I will leave that choice up to you. I'm certainly here to look at the results if you would feel better running it.