Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Code 12 on a Ralink RNX-N300

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tedcroland

tedcroland

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hi all, New here! I bet you get a lot of dudes like me sifting through the internet trying to find solutions to their obtuse and obscure problems. Earlier today, I was doing my normal stuff on my desktop, and my internet went "BOOP" and told me there were no connections. Seeing as how my laptop will still connect (I am currently posting from it on the same network), I figure it has to be my computer. I did the diligence: a reboot, update drivers, reinstall drivers, etc. Nothing so far has worked. It's giving me a code 12: not enough resources. I've uninstalled all ghosted and disabled ethernet drivers that I could, I've viewed the hidden drivers and uninstalled the useless ones. The curious thing is that no matter what I do, Windows wants to install a second, unlabled Ethernet Controller apart from my Ralink-provided drivers. So under "Network Adapters," I have the one that outright doesn't work (802.11n Wireless LAN Card) and under "Other Devices" I have one called "Ethernet Controller" that if I uninstall, Windows kindly reinstalls for me at reboot. I can provide screens of my device manager if necessary. There are other, hidden drivers under "Network Adapters" that I'm unsure of their function, so I've not tried to uninstall them. These are the items currently "Hidden" in my Network Adapters list: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4 RAS Async Adapter Teredo Tunneling Psuedo Interface WAN Miniport (IKEv2) WAN Miniport (IP) WAN Miniport (IPv6) WAN Miniport (L2TP) WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) WAN Miniport (PPPOE) WAN Miniport (PPTP) WAN Miniport (SSTP) Please let me know if I need to provide more info. I don't think it's relevant to provide MoBo and all that, but if it helps I'm an open book. Thanks! Ted C. Roland.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

The Ralink RNX-N300 is a PCI add-on card. You must also have an onboard ethernet adapter, that is what Windows wants to continue to create a connection for. To get rid of it (hide it actually), disable it from Device Manager.

For the connection problem, please do the following: Click on Start then Run and paste the following into the Run box, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.

If you don't have a Run selection off the Start menu, see here: Enable Run Command on Windows 7 or Vista Start Menu or press the Windows key (next to the left Ctrl key) and the R key to open the Run box.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 tedcroland

tedcroland

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback! The first part of your post I didn't quite understand. First, I can't find any other, specific ethernet adapter in Device Manager, apart from the hidden ones, the Ralink and the weird ghosty one. The ethernet adapter in the comp is on-board, and the Ralink card has worked without problem for weeks. It simply stopped working, suddenly and for no discernable reason. I would think that if it were a problem with the on-board ethernet it would have persisted from the start? I dunno, I'm not an expert. :) And, as you requested, this is the body of the postme.txt that you had me make. I followed your directions exactly, save for copying it by hand instead of copy and paste as I still don't have a connection. I did it twice to make sure I was copying it correctly, and it was exactly the same each time. Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : tedcrolandhome Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again. Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it. Ted C. Roland.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

Windows doesn't think you have a network adapter. You're missing the part that should say

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Post a screen shot of Device Manager with Network and and Unknown expanded. Post two shots if necessary.

See here:

CAPTURE - How to capture screen images (screen shots)
Topic has attachmentsUPLOAD IMAGE - How to upload into your thread

Should look something like this (I'm on Win 7):

Devmgmt.jpg

What OS are you using? XP, Vista or Win 7?

Try moving the Ralink card to a different PCI slot if one is available. Sometimes that wakes Windows up.

Rich

#5 tedcroland

tedcroland

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:35 AM

Thanks again for your response! I am attaching a screen of my device manager. The 802..etc is my Ralink PCI card, and the ! is the Code 12.

Attached Thumbnails

• devicemgr.png

#6 tedcroland

tedcroland

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

Forgot to add: I am on Win7 64bit. Sorry for the double post, too!

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

Two possibilities that I see.

1. The RaLink card has gone bad. Move to a different PCI slot if you can or reseat in current slot (remove and reinstall).
2. Driver is corrupted. Download and install the latest driver: Rosewill RNX-N300

Rich

#8 tedcroland

tedcroland

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

Well, it looks like I'm getting somewhere! I switched the card slot and uninstalled/reinstalled all drivers, and it will at least recognize that the card is working properly and that there are networks available. But it won't connect to any of them. I'm getting the same IPConfig results as before. I get the feeling that this is a layered problem. I uninstalled the device from the previous slot, so it is only recognizing it as being installed in the slot it's in. This whole problem is very -_-. Thanks again for your help with this matter, it's been real frustrating and you've been real cool about the whole thing. I really do appreciate it. Ted C. Roland.

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

So there are no yellow marks in Device Manager now for the RaLink card?

Disable the one under Other in Device Manager. I'm sure that's your onboard NIC and since you're not using it, it won't hurt to do so.

Are you sure you did the ipconfig /all the way I posted before? There should be more information that what you posted. Can you do it again but this time save the output in the Notepad window and put it on a flash drive to post here.

Also, please check Services and make sure Wireless Zero Configuration is set to Automatic and Started. If you are using something other than Windows to manage your Wireless, switch to Windows and see if that helps. You may need to uninstall or disable the other Wireless manager if there is one.

See here for info on how to do this: Turning on Wireless Zero Configuration

Rich