This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

need help ASAP!

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So basically I can't connect to the internet on my other PC. The problem started on Thursday when it I woke, turned on the PC wouldn't connect to the internet. Was just sitting at local only or unidentified network…… I know its not the ISP because I am on it right now on my old PC and it woks fine. The PC with the issue is Vista 32 bit home premium, Intel Dual core 3.0… no router.. It started on Thursday when it I woke and it wouldn't connect… it kept trying to install some kind of driver or something which was constantly failing… Then I shut off the computer and loaded up my old Pentium 4 windows XP PC to check the modem on that one which worked fine. Then started up the one that wouldn't work again and it worked again somehow on its own. Then I shut it down at the end of the day.. then on Friday morning it wouldn't work again when I started it up… and since then its never connected again.. So after trying for like 2 hours to get it working I just formatted thinking it was just some kind of bullshit driver issue or something. But after installing windows clean it still didn't connect. Device manager shows no problems with the Marvel Yukon controller or whatever it is. It says this device is working properly. So why the hell isn't it connecting to a network? If the hardware itself is broken then why would device manager say its working properly. I ordered a new PC because I work from home for a company and I have no time to screw around and need a working connection on a good PC ASAP but if I can get it working before Monday I'll just cancel the order because there's nothing else wrong with the computer beyond that.
Your Marvel Yukon device is probably the PCI or PCIe device installed in the computer to receive connection from your modem. You also have a modem which connects to the phone line, cable, or fiber-optic depending upon what service you have. It is possible that your internet connection settings have become corrupted. This would include your internet IP address and password, plus several special settings that are determined by your Internet Service Provider. Most ISP's (Internet Service Providers) have fair to good telephone assistance to walk you through the connection process. My first recommendation would be for you to contact your ISP and ask them to stay on the line to assist you while you create a fresh internet connection on your Vista machine. Best Regards P.S. If you don't have a Router, it is my opinion that you should. Your modem may be a combination modem/router and that would be just fine. Tell us the brand and model of your modem so it can be researched, or ask your ISP. Routers create a level of security and convenience that is important. I know you simply want to get your computer connected before Monday, and don't want to worry about a Router at this time. OK. But consider a router soon.

It is possible that your internet connection settings have become corrupted.



It's a completely clean install of windows so any messed up settings would already have been fixed by doing that…. and the connection works fine on my old computer. So It has nothing to do with the ISP

My first recommendation would be for you to contact your ISP and ask them to stay on the line to assist you while you create a fresh internet connection on your Vista machine.


They don't provide support because there's nothing wrong with the connection on the other computer.

It has to be a hardware problem if it's not the ISP and still doesn't work after formatting. But device manager shows no problems. So fuk it.. I am just going to wait for the new computer.

They don't provide support because there's nothing wrong with the connection on the other computer.


actually they will.

for all we know your isp might of tied the mac address of the computer that works to the modem and their server(i know isp's used to do this not sure if they still do) so when you try any other pc it won't connect(that would include the new pc) because each pc and it's hardware has a separate mac address.

:popcorn:
Jenn1, You know your modem works because you are able to connect when using your old machine. Plus your Vista machine also did connect, but then failed and then came back to life(connection) inexplicably. But now your Vista machine simple does not connect, even though your Device Manager reports that all hardware is working properly. __________________ I previously suggested that you may need to contact your ISP for assistance in properly entering user-name, password, and any details specific to your ISP. I still think this is the best route to take. Do you know what kind of Broadband connection you have? e.g. Static IP Address PPoE/PPPoA ______________________ Most likely you have a Dynamic PPPoE IP subscription. Such connections require that you enter information on each computer you attach to the modem. User-name Password Details (provided by your ISP) It is for this purpose that I recommend you contact your ISP support and ask them to walk you through configuring your connection with the Vista machine. You may also benefit from making sure that your Internet Connection Options are set to: "Automatically Detect Settings" To check on "Automatically Detect Settings" in Vista, go to: Start - Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections(tab) At this panel be sure that you have a checkmark/tick in the radio circle in front of: "Never Dial a Connection" Now go to the Settings panel… Start - Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections(tab) - Settings(button) Be sure that there is a checkmark/tick in front of the line that states: "Automatically Detect Settings" Beyond those basic settings, the information needed to configure the connection is specific to your ISP. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI