Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91636 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE 8 crashing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 helprequired

helprequired

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hi My laptop had been slow recently and IE 8 would start up and then crash immediately. The following messages have been received: internet explorer has stopped working. A problem caused the programme to stop working correctly. Windows will close programme and notify if a solution is available. Since then the following messages have been received: WLtray.exe unable to location compilation this application failed to start because MFC80.DLL wasn't found. Reinstall the application as it may fix the problem. then as above but GDIplus.dll was not found. I am using vista, SP2, IE8 8.0.6001.18999 Any suggestions welcome.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like a problem with one or more Add-ons in IE8. Try resetting it.

See here: Reset Internet Explorer 8 settings

Use the Automated FixIt, much easier. If oyu can't for some reason, follow the manual steps.

Edited by Ztruker, 23 September 2011 - 06:26 PM.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 helprequired

helprequired

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

Hi Thanks for your suggestion. I've done that but it's still not working properly. I received the messages again when clicking on the IE icon. This application failed to start because MFC80.DLL was not found and the application failed to start because gdiplus.dll was not found. Reinstalling the software may fix. IE does then load very slowly and when it does I get the message IE has stopped working check online for a solution and close the programme or close the program. I tried check online for a solution and then received a message saying the tab has been recovered and then wiould re-open which it did and this process repeats. I'd appreciate any further thoughts? T

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Google has some possible fixes for this: MFC80.DLL wasn't found

If you can't get there, try running System File Checker.

For Vista and Windows 7 only:
  • Click on Start, type command prompt.
  • Right click on Command Prompt at the top of the window and select Run as Administrator.
For XP only:
  • Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories.
  • Click on Command Prompt
For XP, Vista and Windows 7:
  • In the Command Prompt Window, type (or copy and paste) sfc /scannow and press Enter.
Vista and Windows 7 tell you if there were and problems, XP does not. You can examine the SFC results as follows:

Open a Command Prompt (does not have to be as Administrator):
  • Type (or copy and paste) findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt and press Enter.
  • Type (or copy and paste) notepad sfcdetails.txt and press Enter.

For XP you will need a XP Installation CD to do this. If you don't have one, how long has this been happening? Have you tried doing a System Restore to a date before it started?

SYSTEM RESTORE - How to use to Undo Changes if Problems Occur, Windows Made Easy

Rich

#5 helprequired

helprequired

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

Hi Sorry for the delay in replying. I tried the windows restore with no success. I ran the system fail area but couldn't log in as an administrator... no issues showed up. When I log onto my laptop now I still receive the gdiplus.dll was not found message and then the screen goes blank so I cannot access any programmes. The only way I seem to be able to run anything is from pressing F8 on logon to run checks.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

One of the primary causes of this kind of problem is malware. Please go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: What To Do If You Have No Response In 3 Days?

Do not reply to your post there as the malware folks look for posts with no replies first.

Rich

#7 helprequired

helprequired

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:27 AM

ok will do Thanks..