Software
sata
2 min read
Peter1
Topic Starter
Hello
I went to the Dell site and entered my 2 pc's service tags.
I then clicked the box that tells you if your pc needs any updates..
I entered the term sata. There are terms like chipset, network, sata, dvd, bios etc.
The laptop reported 'recommend' with no comments BUT the desktop reported 'urgent' with no reason..
I was taught not to update unless necessary but I am confused with the term urgent vs. being conservative.
I ran the Dell test for hardware and there were no issues.
Should I pay attention to the urgent?
terry1966
no, there is nothing to update.
sata :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
sata is just the hard drive connection type.
do check it's not on a recall list tho for any faulty parts, usually the battery, but i think that was older laptops a long time ago.

sata :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
sata is just the hard drive connection type.
do check it's not on a recall list tho for any faulty parts, usually the battery, but i think that was older laptops a long time ago.
Peter1
no, there is nothing to update.
sata :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
sata is just the hard drive connection type.
do check it's not on a recall list tho for any faulty parts, usually the battery, but i think that was older laptops a long time ago.
>>I just wondered why the Dell site advises,"urgent" for features on my laptop and desktop.
The laptop is "utilities" and the desktop is "F3 1TB 7200 3.5 SATA2 HDD".
Peter1
Terri
I finally got to the desktop so am sending you a prntscrn of the desktops report as urgent.
I don't know where to look so I can tell which of the ites listed belongs to me.
Is my hard drive listed in device manager?
The laptop's' urgent was "utiities"
I finally got to the desktop so am sending you a prntscrn of the desktops report as urgent.
I don't know where to look so I can tell which of the ites listed belongs to me.
Is my hard drive listed in device manager?
The laptop's' urgent was "utiities"
Peter1
I found my hard drive in device manager which listed numbers and letters and went to the web for the manufacturer which is Samsung.
The firmware update-urgent-has to do with booting instability which I am not experiencing so unless I do, I will disregard the urgent update.
JFYI
terry1966
Peter1
![]()
always remember if it ain't broke don't fix it.![]()
must admit tho that's a new one on me, i never knew you could do a firmware update on a normal sata drive, sata ssd's yes but not normal drives.
>I am leaving well enough alone;you now, after new pcs, multifunctions, phones, tvs, cars and more, I look forward to an old fashioned cowboy movie .
There should be a league for those who make 7 decades and more where devices are kept as simple as possible. Even the tv is getting complicated.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI