This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

0x24 stop error. ARCDC Recovery CD didn't work

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dell XPS 420 computer got turned off while it was perfroming a Disk Error Check. This resulted in a BSOD w/ 0x24 stop error.
Can not boot into Windows with any of the safe modes. Can not use "last known good configuration.
Can not boot from XP CD. It loads drivers and quits.
Can not get my Win 7 laptop to recognize the drive via a docking station or usb to sata cable. I get the message "this drive needs formatted
Disk Managment shows it formatted in RAW.
Ubuntu CAN see my data and allowed me to back up what I needed. Nothing I accessed was corrupt. It's all there.

I NEED a way to fix what ever is wrong with the drive so I can get back into Windows and run a couple program's own backups.

The programs that have been suggested are data recovery programs. I have all the data backed up that I need thanks to Ubuntu, except for
two programs that run their own backups.

Spinrite said their program won't work

I don't think EaseUS will. I think it's just another data recovery program but it can then format the RAW drive back into NTFS. What I don't know yet is if this format from RAW to NTFS will wipe the drive clean. It will, won't it?

So now I'm trying ARCDC. I burned the Recovery Console cd and booted with it.
Typed chkdsk r/ at the c prompt and got the following message:
STOP c0000139 [Entry point not found]
The procedure entry point NtserializeBoot could not be located in the dyamic link library ntdll.dll

During the setup of making the boot cd, I was given the choice to add some files. Should I download this dll and add it to the making of the bootable cd?

Can anyone help from this point?
Thanks,
Monica
Hi monicakm,
Welcome to the WTT forums, and sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.
Just a couple of points that need clarifying….

Typed chkdsk r/ at the c prompt


if you are using the chkdsk command to repair errors on your drive then the correct command is
chkdsk /r
(note the space twix "k" and the forward slash)

format from RAW to NTFS will wipe the drive clean. It will, won't it?


Yes the format clears your partition or hard drive concerned.

Well done on copying off your important stuff using Ubuntu, it llooks as though you had disc errors on the machine and that is why the Disc Error check was running…… it is never good when a disc check of this nature is interrupted by a shutdown….. sometimes the machine is OK and can cope with it othertimes it severely damages your drive and creates the symptoms you describe….

Most folks in this situation with a good backup of all important stuff would try to "format and reinstall" and providing there is no electrical or mechanical damage to your hard drive this will have it up and running very quickly.

Dell usually ship with a Restore partition to restore the hard drive to its "out of the box " or "Factory" condition…… try F8 or F11 immediately after power on…..; but Please note that a format and reinstall or a restore to factory clears all your files, that is why you were wise to perform regular backups and complete the last one using Ubuntu

Have you downloaded the hard drive manufacturers disc checking utility..to see if the drive is salvagable? There are other steps we can suggest to help you rebuild your MBR, but the hard drive check is the first step to take
Post back when you have done the check and we will take it from there.
Regards
paws
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I checked back. I had the forum set to email any replies but I hadn't been notified yet. My bad. I made a typo. yes, I typed chkdsk /r No, I have yet to call the hdd manufacturer. It's on my to do list for tomorrow. I had two backups, one internal and one external drive that did backups every day. BUT, external went bad, had to replace it and just never got around to setting it up :( But with Ubuntu, I could grab what I hadn't backed up EXCEPT for 3 programs that have to run their own backups and then that data is copied to the other drives. If it wasn't for that, I would have thrown the drive away and installed my 1TB drive and upgrade to Win 7 (altho XP is still my favorite OS). The XPS 420 came with Vista but I took it off and installed XP. Took a week to run down all the "xp for Vista drivers". If I have to reformat, I might was well upgrade to 7. I made another ARCDC boot disk and this time included the dll that was missing when I tried to run the Recovery Console. Didn't work :( Just out of desperation, I'm running Spinrite in recovery mode right now. I'll repost after talking with the hdd manuf. And no, I wasn't experiencing any problems with the drive. Was just running Dish Error Checking as part of maintenance. Total fluke that the computer was turned off during the process :( Monica Thanks
WD was not able to help. The old hdd software diag504fcd.iso has been a problem for many on the Internet. Seems to be no answer and WD no longer supports it. They, instead support Acronis. Downloaded that to the working laptop and as instructed by WD tech support tried to install it and once it was installed could make a bootable cd. Problem with that is the software won't load on a computer without a WD hdd :pullhair: I've done all I can do. If anyon here has a suggestion on how to attempt to fix the drive (not just recover data like I did with Ubuntu, I'd love to hear it. Thanks, Monica
Hi monicaKm. Here's a list of the hard drive utilities that you can use to try and check/fix your disc
Just select the one for your particular make of drive and see how you go.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If you have tried a Restore to Factory on the Dell and with no result then as new hard drives are cheap to buy it might be worth getting one…… fitting it is a 3 minute job. All hard drives fail sooner or later that's one of the reasons why making a disc image is such a good idea
as long as you have a good back up all you will need is a bit of time to complete the installation on a new disc, install your applications and copy over your backed up files.

If you made a disc image using Macrium, Drive Image XML or Acronis, Paragon Ghost (with a bootable CD able to access your external drive ,{with the disc image on it}) etc then you can just reimage your new drive in very quick time and be up and running again….

Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI