This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

windows freezes on DDS, spybot SD and sometimes boot

34 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Doug, The first icon is the network drive icon, which disappears with the label "cannot connect to network drive" (since I haven't double-clicked/entered a password); the second is the Power4 Gear+ Utility/BatteryLife.exe (which I don't know too much about to be honest). This reminded me that sometimes the battery level/power level icon does not always show up…not sure if that's related. Good question about the desktop background - it is a saved .jpeg though, so it shouldn't be the problem. Let me know if you have any thoughts. S

I'm not sure whether there is anything that can be done without the hassle of uninstalling and presume from the silence this may be the case.


I was waiting on you to see if you wanted to move foward on these items I had in mind, this is why I had not answered. Seeing that Doug had asked a question also, I am not sure of what he may be thinking or what he may have in mind, I will post of what to do next once you hear back from him on any Ideas that he may have.


Here is what were going to do.

1. Follow this link and download this ATF by Atribune to your desktop. http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?au…nload&id=17

2. Follow this link and download CCleaner to your desktop. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

3. Follow this link and download defrag setup. http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler

Once you have down loaded the 3 programs, were going to clean up the system to see if there are any improvements of performance or operations.

Starting with ATF

1.) Run ATF, straight forward program; click select all and run, once done move on to step 2.

2.) CCleaner - Double click the CC setup icon on your desktop,
A. Follow the instruction to the point where you get the install option, once their
uncheck all the boxes with the exception of (add desktop shortcut, leave this one
checked), make sure the rest are unchecked.
B. Click next, then uncheck install the free google toolbar along with cleaner and then
click the install tab.
C. Uncheck Run CCleaner – you will run this later.

Note: WTT does not condone the use of registry cleaners, WTT does not support it
or will not offer help with using this type of program, if you run it then you do so at your own risk
.


3.) Defrag setup – Double click the defrag setup icon on your desktop,
A. Follow the install instructions
B. Uncheck all but the (add to Desktop shortcut icon
C. Uncheck all options of include Google chrome, 2 check boxes here, and then click on install.
D. Uncheck run Defraggler, we will run this later.

__________________________________________

Running the programs:

1.) We have already ran ATF, move on to next step

2.) Double click the CCleaner icon

3) Now this next step is up to you of what to do, you will be asked a question Intelligently Scan for Cookies to keep (Yes Recommended or No)

A. If you click on no, then all your cookies will be cleaned up – meaning that all web sites that store your PW and user info to log in will be cleaned out, meaning when you log back on to the site you are going have to type in that info again for them to remember you. Click Yes will save this information.
Me I always cleaned them out from time to time because broken links or corrupted cookies could cause erratic behavior with IE when trying to connect to the internet using your browsers, but this is me.

4.) Click on the Analyze Tab, in the cleaner part.
5.) Once done, click on the run tab and keep doing this a few times until there is nothing more showing up in the list.
6. Once done close the program.

Defraggler
1.) Double click the defraggler icon on your desktop
2.) Click on the analyze tab
3.) Once done, click on the file list tab
4.) In the check box where it says file name, check that box, then all in the list should have check marks next to them
5.) Click Defrag checked and let the program run, once done uncheck the file name check box and shut down the program.

Once these items have been done, reboot and lets see what happens and how the machine does, to see if their has been any improvements at all.

After this we see what’s next.

Jimbo1
Hi Jimbo, Apologies for the delay - the defrag only got to 15% on Tuesday night, so I had to finish it last night. All the steps have now been followed : on the first boot since, things look good… I'll keep you updated. I also "disconnected" the network drive (and I'm tempted to delete it and re-map?), so we'll see if that makes a difference too. I'll keep you posted. Many thanks, SImon
Had not heard nothing from you in the past few days how are things going? If good I have some last instructions for you to follow up with. Jimbo1
You will need to run the SFC's Windows XP Pro CD, the above is a viable solution, but sad to say, I think Microsoft is ready, its operating system for this reason. I want to see if you may file corruption or not.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI