Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

spybot hanging

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 gmusick

gmusick

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:55 AM

I have not been able to find any similar problems to mine. I built a computer for a customer of mine. It is a 3 ghz system, 800fsb with 1mb cache. It has 512 mb of memory. I loaded XP Pro on this system with SP2. Everything else on this system seems to be working normally, including all the software that I installed. My problem is that I loaded Spybot 1.4 and Ad-Aware on this system and neither one of them work, so I know that it is not a problem in the Spybot code. After I loaded it, it ran normally. It allowed me to update, immunize, etc. I then scanned my system and it ran fine. I tried to run it again, a day later, and it hung somewhere after scanning for about 1000 items. I killed it and reran it, and again it hung, but in a different location. When I tried to run Ad-aware, it wouldn't even bring up the splash screen. So I removed both Ad-Aware and Spybot and just reinstalled spybot. Immediately after the install, it ran fine, but then, immediately, I reran it and it hung. It is not hanging in the same place everytime. One time, it would hang on or near item 1000. Another time it would go farther and scan several thousand items and one time it scanned over 6000 items before hanging. The only way that I can get this to work is to remove it and reinstall, but it will only run completely, then it will hang each and everytime I try to run it. I have installed a freeware virus scanning tool, called AVG, and it seems to run flawlessly. I have installed Nero, PowerDVD and Microsoft Office and all of those seem to run without any problems. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks! Glen
Thanks,
Glen

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:18 PM

hi,

you might want to post that in this forum:

http://forums.net-in...hp?showforum=28
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 gmusick

gmusick

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:15 AM

I did... no response either.
Thanks,
Glen

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:28 AM

How big did you set the pagefile?

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#5 gmusick

gmusick

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

754 mb
Thanks,
Glen

#6 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:46 PM

the copy of XP.. is it legit?

#7 gmusick

gmusick

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:24 PM

Yes it is.
Thanks,
Glen

#8 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:38 PM

Ooops...

Edited by LDTate, 23 June 2005 - 03:39 PM.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#9 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

Download from here http://www.safer-net...rors/index.html and then update. Also what version of spybot did you download?

#10 gmusick

gmusick

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:10 PM

I originally downloaded spybot 1.4 from download.com. I just tried it again with one of the sites you just linked, Kajoe, I think. I got the same results.
Thanks,
Glen

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:20 PM

Will they run in Safe Mode?

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#12 gmusick

gmusick

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:16 AM

I tried running spybot 1.4 in safe mode just now, and I get exactly the same problem. Actually, the problem seems to have changed a little. I can no longer uninstall it and reinstall it to make it work once.
Thanks,
Glen

#13 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:26 AM

Is Sp2 on the install disk itself..? if not have you tried installing it without SP2 and did it work then

#14 gmusick

gmusick

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

I didn't load Spybot until after I had done all of the updates and I have not reimaged the machine to test it. Is that what you guys believe the next steps to be?
Thanks,
Glen

#15 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

I wouldnt surprised if SP2 was to blame. I would try it without SP2 just to see but more than likely you probably got some baddies keeping them both from doing their job. Can you run hijack this and post a log for us.,.. least we could eliminate that you know.