This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

spybot hanging

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have not been able to find any similar problems to mine. I built a computer for a customer of mine. It is a 3 ghz system, 800fsb with 1mb cache. It has 512 mb of memory. I loaded XP Pro on this system with SP2. Everything else on this system seems to be working normally, including all the software that I installed. My problem is that I loaded Spybot 1.4 and Ad-Aware on this system and neither one of them work, so I know that it is not a problem in the Spybot code. After I loaded it, it ran normally. It allowed me to update, immunize, etc. I then scanned my system and it ran fine. I tried to run it again, a day later, and it hung somewhere after scanning for about 1000 items. I killed it and reran it, and again it hung, but in a different location. When I tried to run Ad-aware, it wouldn't even bring up the splash screen. So I removed both Ad-Aware and Spybot and just reinstalled spybot. Immediately after the install, it ran fine, but then, immediately, I reran it and it hung. It is not hanging in the same place everytime. One time, it would hang on or near item 1000. Another time it would go farther and scan several thousand items and one time it scanned over 6000 items before hanging. The only way that I can get this to work is to remove it and reinstall, but it will only run completely, then it will hang each and everytime I try to run it. I have installed a freeware virus scanning tool, called AVG, and it seems to run flawlessly. I have installed Nero, PowerDVD and Microsoft Office and all of those seem to run without any problems. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks! Glen
Download from here http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html and then update. Also what version of spybot did you download?
I originally downloaded spybot 1.4 from download.com. I just tried it again with one of the sites you just linked, Kajoe, I think. I got the same results.
I tried running spybot 1.4 in safe mode just now, and I get exactly the same problem. Actually, the problem seems to have changed a little. I can no longer uninstall it and reinstall it to make it work once.
I didn't load Spybot until after I had done all of the updates and I have not reimaged the machine to test it. Is that what you guys believe the next steps to be?
I wouldnt surprised if SP2 was to blame. I would try it without SP2 just to see but more than likely you probably got some baddies keeping them both from doing their job. Can you run hijack this and post a log for us.,.. least we could eliminate that you know.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI