Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Cannot open files since installing MS 2010

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hello again good people. Lol, yes, once again Im having a bit of strife that yet again is doing my head in lol. :wall: Firstly, I took your advice and bought the academic version of MS office 2010. Everything was going great, until I had to download some results and teachers comments and download the next assignment. It just wont let me open any of them, in any format at all, I have even tried downloading some that I had no problem with before installing MS office 2010, but they will no longer open neither. I get one of these messages depending on with what program I am trying to open it with. "The file cannot be opened because there is a problem with the contents." OR "The file may be in use by another application , the file format may not be supported or the file may be corrupt" OR "The file is not a valid win32 application" Please help, I have spent hours trying to work out what could be going on. I am having no trouble downloading, installing, saving or opening any other files from anywhere else, at this point it seems to be confined to just the ones from this website, which as I said, I never had any problems with opening before installing MS office 2010. I have followed all thier troubleshooting tips but to no avail. Any ideas or suggestions as to what could be going wrong, or more precisely, what I am doing wrong lol, would be much appreciated. Thankyou as always Chrissy.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. -Albert Einstein.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Sunyata

Sunyata

Constantly Learning

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hi Chrissy,

If this is still a problem for you converting between Works and Word. Here is an MS link with several options for opening those pesky .wps files, depending upon what applications you have installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315757

Hope it helps :)
Graduate of the WTT Classroom

#3 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:19 AM

thankyou rshaffer, i actually just sorted it out about half an hour before u posted lol. I worked out it eas just all zip files i couldnt open, so i installed winrar and set them to open with it and all is good again yay! Still a mystery as to why they stopped opening automatically all of a sudden, as i sid i never had any probs before as im sure there has always been an unzipping/extraction programme on my pcwhich would work automatically as soon as i tried opening any zipped files. Hmmmm strange! Anyway, thanks again. It has taken me weeks and a lot of banging my head against walls and tearing hair out to sort this out. It was actually my hubbys tafe assignments . Ironic that an online teaching institution would say to me that there were no computer experts there to help me when i rang thier 'tech support' number. All i could think of was the guy from IT crowd saying ' have u tried turning it off and on again' haahaahaa!!!!!
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. -Albert Einstein.

#4 Sunyata

Sunyata

Constantly Learning

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

Great Chrissy :thumbup: Glad you solved your problem. Good luck with your online courses.
Graduate of the WTT Classroom