This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

computer freezes and now shutting down

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I previously had an issue last week with malware and slow running computer. I could not complete the spybot scan. It would stop running. I visited the forum and someone helped me, but things got worse from there

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=63270

That is the link to 5 pages of posts. The person who assisted me suggested I come over here . I am running my computer in safemode because whe I startup in normal it shuts down seemingly after avast announces that my computer is protected.
Here are the requested logs from DDS

📎miamiwings_dds.txt

Edit: Uploaded DDS output as a txt attachment.
Try using msconfig to determine what is causing the problem with a normal boot.

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Boot to Safe Mode.
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, boot to Safe Mode again. Start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.
I followed your first instructions about disabling and after about 3 minutes running, the computer shut down , so I went to step two and disabled all in normal mode. So far I haven't been booted off so I will continue enabling one at a time. Will be back with my results. Thanks
I noticed avast was disabled and it is not running. It is shown as disabled. That is as far as I have gotten, will continue in the morning.
I think my problem was related to Avast installation. It was not opening up so I did a repair. It seems to be running OK as I started in normal mode and no crashes as yet Should I post new logs now? Thanks
No, hold off. If it doesn't fail then all is well. If it does then post the logs and we'll continue.

Hope Avast was the problem. If so it won;t be the first time it's happened.

I use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It's well rated and highly thought of by a lot of people, here and on other forums.

If you're interested, uninstall Avast and install MSE.
I previously installed Microsoft Essentials as per the instructions from the spybot forum person who helped me; however, if you look at the link, I had a lot of problems with it, so He told me to uninstall
When MSE is first installed, it does you resources. First while it updates the virus signature files and again when it runs it's first scan. After that it's almost transparent, at least it is for me on the computers I've installed it on. everything from a 450Mhz HP Pavilion with 256MB ram to a 3.4Gb Alienware with 8GB of ram. Mainly I want to see if removing Avast gets rid of the problem. If yes then you could try reinstalling it or giving MSE another try.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI