This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

error 'bcmwlrty.exe - unable to locate component'

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have here another computer that is an Inspiron mini and it runs with XP Home Edition. This Error pops up ALL the time that says "bcmwlty.exe - Unable to Locate Component" "This application has failed to start because Normaliz.dll was not found…" I can click OK and it pops up immediately again. If I am quick I can gradually get me password typed in and then I am logged on. But never will the start button appear nor any of me icons. Awhile ago I found a post somewhere that told how to get to the place to stop processes by clicking Ctrl + Alt + Delete. I tried to stop the process but it would immedeately restart. I did it many times and then restarted the computer. All to no avail. What shall I do now? Can anyone help me?
Hiya Miss Jewel,

Really sorry to hear your having problems with the machine.

Help us help you. We still need some additional information in order to best know how to help you.
  • Please indicate Desktop or Laptop, Brand and Model
  • How Much Memory you have.
  • What Current Operating system you have? And what is the current Version SP1, SP2 or SP3 ?
  • Any new "stuff" added? Software or hardware upgrades.
  • What was running on the machine when the problems appeared?
  • Please tell us about your Internet connection. Do you run a Router? (Brand/model)
  • Any other recent changes to the problematic machine? (new hardware? new software
  • Other machines on the same Internet connection/network having similar problems or not?

Jimbo1
Thanks Jimbo1, I'm sorry but I really don't know the answer to most of these questions. Like I said, it is a Dell Inspiron mini using windows XP HE but I do not know what service pack. I think it happened when either trying to clean up computer or messing with wireless connections. Was doing both. I use a wireless internet connection. No other known issues. Miss Jewel

Dell Inspiron mini using windows XP HE but I do not know what service pack.

If possible can you give me the model number that would be a help in order to find which drivers you are using.

You said Dell Inspiron mini - is this a desktop or a laptop or a net book?

In order to help we need that info, the problems you are describing has to do with the wireless device or connections not set up, some how it was removed. It’s not uncommon to receive this error after some going through the add/remove menu and taking out old programs you might not use. By doing this, you've removed a piece of software that is needed by one of your network devices. The bcmwltry.exe is the process for the Broadcom Corporation Wireless Network software.

So the problem may be that it was removed and needs to be re-installed and if so thats why it is important to have the correct make and model to steer you into the right direction.

Jimbo1
Can you boot into safe mode?

When you start your PC, immediately start tapping the F8 key. A window should open that gives you a list of start options. Using your up and down arrows, choose safe mode.

bcmwltry.exe is the tray bar process for the Broadcom Corporation Wireless Network software.
It seems that this software can cause a lot of problems. This process gives you easy access to the software related to the product above and can be removed as it is not a critical component.

If you manage to boot to safe mode, look for the Tray Applet for the Broadcom Corporation in the add/remove programs and uninstall it. and then reboot and see if you get to your normal desktop.


Cheers
Lee
I tried to reboot in safe mode. That little error popped up. I clicked ok and then it gaoes to a black screen. At the top it says 'Safe ModeMicrosoft ® Windows XP ® (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_grd.101209-1647: Service Pack 3)Safe Mode' And at the bottom at each corner it says Safe Mode. That is all.
I believe Normaliz.dll is part of IE7 & IE8, which do you have? Try reinstalling whichever you have, see if that fixes the problem.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI