Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How to (permanently) remove "Google suggest"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

Without using a registry hack and I'm not sure if one exists, permanently removing that silly drop-down suggestion box is impossible. Sure, you have an option to turn it off, but the next time you open your browser it's back again :smack:

What needs to be done is to change which google search you use. Until recently, I used google.com/custom which is a stripped down google search. No suggestion box, no advertising and no maps etc. But sadly, that google search has recently been disabled by google and all your searches there now return a google "we're sorry" error page.

Here is a google search address without the silly suggestions. Just copy and paste it into your address bar, press enter and then make it your home page :thumbup:

http://www.google.co...omplete=0&hl=en

[attachment=10683:ScreenClip000000.jpg]

Cheers,
Lee

PS edit:
That Google lettering in the above image, regularly changes (thank heavens).

Edited by Lee, 21 June 2011 - 08:29 PM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Lee, that is the same page I see on my XP Pro laptop when I go to http://www.google.com using the SeaMonkey (similar to FireFox) browser.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

That's interesting Rich. When I go to Google.com I always get the suggestions feature in IE and Opera and so does Zoe. She likes it though as I'm sure there are plenty of others that do to. It drives me nuts. Type in 1 or 2 letters of a search and it can read my mind and make suggestions accordingly (to whom has paid the most to obtain prime google positions) ? Cheers, Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

In IE, under Internet Options, Content tab there is a Auto Complete settings. Looks like you can control it there. Like your wife, I also like the drop down suggestions which I do get with SeaMonkey, FireFox and IE. What I meant before was when I go to goggle.com I get the same clean page you posted.

Edited by Ztruker, 22 June 2011 - 06:56 AM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown