This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Fake HP Recovery Screen

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is my first time on this forum, i'm actually posting because I have this problem with my HP laptop and I Google searched and found another person started a thread with the exact same problem. Basically, a fake (you can tell because everything looks bulkier and a black box pops up for a moment) start-up recovery program is running and will not let me get to my log in screen. The progam says that "if problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically. Your computer might restart several times during this process." If you close out of the Startup Repair, you are prompted to restart your computer…..ultimately leading to the same results. I've tried using F8 but all Safe Mood options lead to the same fake start-up recovery. The working options given upon pressing Esc at the regular looking screen which briefly appears before the fake one are: F1 System Information F2 System Diagnostics F9 Boot Device Options F10 BIOS Setup. I have had slight success using HP Quick Web, I can make it to the main screen but it doesn't let me connect to my Wi-Fi from there so I cannot use the internet to download the programs I've seen suggested on here. Hopefully with the information I've provided someone here can help, because things are not looking promising at the moment. Thank you very much.
Posted Image


DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.


Vista and Windows 7 users:
1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")


Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

Please try this through System Recovery Options at Boot for running System Restore as shown in this link http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html See Method #1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI