This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

internet access

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

If I am at a house and turn on my laptop, when I see al the names of people around me in the systray icon, can I just connect with one of them, legally? I so, if they are not protected and ask for no password, when I get internet , do they know it ? Is this dangerous for me? I do not plan to bother anyone but do not know the rules of networks. Thank you

can I just connect with one of them, legally?

no, not unless they have given you permission to use something they pay for. ie. internet bandwidth.

if they are not protected and ask for no password, when I get internet , do they know it ? Is this dangerous for me?

yes if they look in their routers to see who's connected, yes can be very dangerous for your os/data.

I do not plan to bother anyone but do not know the rules of networks.

only one rule really, if you don't own it, don't use it. :D

unless you get permission first, if it's a public network(if you don't know, treat it as private and don't use it) there's no problem connecting to it, just make sure you use best security practices, like switching off all file sharing features, etc. on your laptop first.

:popcorn:
only one rule really, if you don't own it, don't use it. My neighbor asked if he could use mine and I declined. That says it all and that's what I'll do. Where I am staying I found out from Comcast I can use the persons modem with my router like before for internet but that is different. Btw, all the wotk we did with filesharing paid off as it is a handy tool. I practised and have it down pretty good. Yesterday I prntscrnd a page then shared the file with the pc I was typing with to someone. He had asked about an issue in the other pc so instead of switching pcs I just shared the file. Getting there but it pinches sometimes. Thanx again.
You would need to inquire about State and local laws regarding the use of wifi privately owned by another. In principle, I agree with the others - if it is not yours, don't use it unless duly authorized. Many commercial entities have public wifi, e.g., hotels, Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, etc… but give their express permission to use it. Regards. . . jcgriff2 `

You would need to inquire about State and local laws regarding the use of wifi privately owned by another.

In principle, I agree with the others - if it is not yours, don't use it unless duly authorized.

Many commercial entities have public wifi, e.g., hotels, Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, etc… but give their express permission to use it.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`



>>Thank you

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI