This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Saving documents from wps to doc or docx

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey guys, PLEASE HELP! This is absolutely doing my head in! :angry: My pc came with microsoft works as my word processor for creating documents. It creates the documents in wps format, but to be able to send documents such as assignments or resumes, I need it to be sent as a doc or docx document. So when I save I save as docx or doc. Now this is simple enough, but, when I do this, it all comes out as a big mess. Its not saved the same as it was in wps. For example, txt that was on one page now ends up on another page and so on. I have tried everything to stop this from happening, have deleted parts or moved them around to create more room, but it just makes it 10 times worse :pullhair: Does anybody know how I can create the document to come out exactly the same (or at least on the same page) once saved as a doc, or better still, how I create a document as a doc instead of wps in the first place. I have searched everywhere for the answer and find myself just going round in circles. Sorry if this is confusing, but hey, Im totally confused myself :rofl: and dont know what the heck Im doing wrong! lol. :wall: One very frustrated Chrissy!!!! :rofl:
Hi Chrissy,
The easiest way is to get hold of Microsoft Word and this will solve all the problems. Word is included in the various versions of Microsoft Office, so do check to see if you have a copy lying around.

As you are now a "student" you can get Microsoft Office at a good discount, check around, otherwise there is always the Microsoft Home and Office versions that seem relatively inexpensive.
http://www.software4students.co.uk/?gclid=…CFcJP4QodhkxGfA

Open Office (free license )
http://download.cnet.com/OpenOffice-org/30…4-10263109.html
will allow you to create docs using the .doc file format and these should open Ok in Word

To try and help, I have set up a test machine, installed Works on it, created a report and saved it as a doc format and it opens just fine in Word…
I should mention though that I did not use any "fancy formatting" as sometimes the file converters do get a bit confused or are unable to convert accurately…maybe this could be the problem?

Some folks when using a Word processor just keep pressing the Enter key when they want to start a new page ( the enter key moves the cursor down and eventually you get to a new page……..(The file convertors in current use sometimes cannot cope with that ….it's not the right way of doing it……… if you want to preserve the page layout then you must start a new page manually…… (CTrl +Enter in Word for example)

An extra thought for you, most folks who have Microsoft Word on their ccomputer will have no difficulty in opening your wps files, could you therefore ask them if it would be Ok for you to send them in the wps file format…?…
If they say no then I think you will be entitled to ask the question:

"you must have powerful and compelling reasons why you will not accept my work in Microsoft .wps file format, especially as Microsoft Word is capable of opening and using this file format automatically and without any extra work or keystrokes required….. would you mind telling me the reasons please?"

Some folks ask for .doc. or docx file format because they do not realise that a .wps or .rtf file format will open in Word just fine…and when they see that its no problem to them are happy to agree….. other less enlightened folk dig in their heels and insist on a .doc or .docx so you may need to accept this or take your business elsewhere ( not easy I'll admit, but its an option.
Hope this helps
If the requirement for .doc comes from your uni..then shame upon them, they should be more enlightened!….. it's worth asking them if you are entitled to a free copy of Microsoft Word…some uni's provide this as service for their students…
Regards
paws
Thx Paws for all the info and trouble you have gone to. I started having trouble when attaching my resume when applying for a few jobs, the companies online application forms would not allow me to upload in wps format. This was everything from retail companies, banks as well as many professional companies. I had the same trouble when helping my son to apply after attempting to make his resume and have it stay looking "professional" and not all over the place, that has been a nightmare lol! Now my partner has just started a tafe course online, but as he is even more computer illiterate than I am lol, he wrote his first assignment out by hand, and I typed it all out and tried to make it look as formal as possible (thought it would be good practice for myself for when I start uni in August), but as it too was coming out all "wrong" once I saved it as doc, I decided just to submit it in wps. When we got the results back they said that it must be submitted in doc or docx in future. I have looked into your first link for students but it was a UK site, but I remember Raktor mentioning something like that earlier, I will definately be looking into it when Ive got the money. For now, Ive been trying to find a free or very cheap download for maybe an earlier version of word (eg 2007 or 2003). Im gunna give open office a go as u have suggested and see if I have any more luck. I noticed another one in my hours of researching a solution to this problem, but wasnt sure how reliable it was. It was called Abiword I think. Thankyou once again! Im hoping to have all these little problems ironed out before it comes time for me to start having to complete and submit my own assignments. My next hurdle is coming up with a flow chart for hubbys next assignment lol. Its all good practice for me lol, even if its being very time consuming and sometimes a real headache trying to figure my way around everything. But luckily my son has learnt a few basic things at highschool which are proving to be a big help too. Shall let you know how Open office pans out for me. Chrissy :D BTW, Yes Im one of those people who keep pressing enter to start a new page lol, as this was the only way I could figure how to do it. Thankyou so much for the ctrl/enter tip. Shall be trying that in future lol.
EDIT: I HAVE POSTED THIS IN A NEW THREAD, THE LINK IS HERE >>>>>>>http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=119592 THANKYOU :D Hello again good people. Lol, yes, once again Im having a bit of strife that yet again is doing my head in lol. :wall: Firstly, I took your advice and bought the academic version of MS office 2010. Everything was going great, until I had to download some results and teachers comments and download the next assignment. It just wont let me open any of them, in any format at all, I have even tried downloading some that I had no problem with before installing MS office 2010, but they will no longer open neither. I get one of these messages depending on with what program I am trying to open it with. "The file cannot be opened because there is a problem with the contents." OR "The file may be in use by another application , the file format may not be supported or the file may be corrupt" OR "The file is not a valid win32 application" Please help, I have spent hours trying to work out what could be going on. I am having no trouble downloading, installing, saving or opening any other files from anywhere else, at this point it seems to be confined to just the ones from this website, which as I said, I never had any problems with opening before installing MS office 2010. I have followed all thier troubleshooting tips but to no avail. Any ideas or suggestions as to what could be going wrong, or more precisely, what I am doing wrong lol, would be much appreciated. Thankyou as always Chrissy.

Hi Chrissy ~

 

I don't know which version of WPS you have, but I currently have WPS 2015 (free version). I had difficulties with the earlier version because my cloud backup thought my documents were temporary files. I wrote to WPS tech support and they told me to download the newer version.

 

When you are ready to save your document for the first time, select Save As. Enter your document name, as usual. Then, click the drop down box underneath. I have attached a document with a screen print showing your selection of document types. With the free version of WPS, docx is not allowed, so I select doc. I have sent documents created this way to others, who then can open them in MS Word. Also, my cloud backup has no problems with the files.

 

If you select Options from the Tools menu, you can specify doc as the default extension. This makes life easier.

 

I have attached several screen shots. I hope this helps.

 

Good luck,

 

PolkaDot

 

📎Set Default File Extension in WPS.PNG📎Saving a WPS Document in the Desired Format.PNG

4 year old thread so think she may have sorted the problem by now. :rofl:

 

welcome to wtt PolkaDot. :thumbup:

 

and thanks for the how to, i'm sure it will help someone in future.

 

:popcorn:

It is a very old thread but for those interested in changing from .rtf>word etc. = open the file>save as>see file type and select.

This will convert the file type.

It;s not a big deal to convert any kind of nowadays, just search for the term on the internet and it will show you a number of online possile convert trough which you can easily convert wps file to doc or you can even try other offline converter and install them on your system for later conversion. 

I suspect that this question was resolved at some point in the  years since it was asked.

 

That being said, your statement that the internet can provide a converter for virtually any format to any other… is well founded.  However, always keep in mind that many "free" programs come with nefarious friends and everyone needs to stay vigilant and be careful - realizing that there is always a risk associated with "googling" for a converter and just randomly downloading something from the results.

Just read through this thread and I just thought it's amazing how before resolving a simple issue of changing file type can be a pain in the ass while now just after a few clicks it's done.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI