This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

FakeAV.pov in AegisE5.dll

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This appears to be just about identical with the problem at
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=119005
which was dealt with by patndoris, but I don't want to just follow the advice there since my problem (and my computer's responses) may be different.

My computer already had AVG installed and paid for up to next February when I got it from a friend. I am also running the free version of ZoneAlarm.

AVG slows everything down, so I would like to change it for something else, but before doing so I would like to clear up this problem.

A few days ago AVG blocked an infection (FakeAV.pov) which it claimed was in one of the files essential to my wireless internet connection, which I have had for several years. The file was one of several called AegisE5.dll. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the wireless connection, but AVG blocked further files. I know it was stupid, but I then restored the file so I could connect to the internet. I then ran AVG again but it found nothing. Neither did Malwarebytes or Superantispyware. A few strange things happened:
IE kept scrolling to the bottoms of pages, but this stopped soon afterwards.
I couldn't access the ZoneAlarm windows, but can now.
Superantispyware was locked by the system, but I was able to run it and I think it is OK now.

However, I don't trust that the computer is clear of infection. I wonder if whatever it was had made changes to the malware software so they are not finding it.

I now have another computer which I can use to access the internet for downloading programs etc if that would be preferable..

I'm a bit nervous about dealing with this sort of thing, so I have run DDS as it seemed to have less warnings about using it. hope I have done it right as I don't know if I have any "onboard script blocking tools"

Very many thanks for your service.

DDS results:

.
DDS (Ver_11-03-05.01) - NTFSx86
Run by [removed] at 15:17:47.57 on 17/06/2011
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.991.400 [GMT 1:00]
.
AV: AVG Anti-Virus *Enabled/Updated* {17DDD097-36FF-435F-9E1B-52D74245D6BF}
FW: ZoneAlarm Firewall *Enabled*
.
============== Running Processes ===============
.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\IswSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Cobian Backup 10\cbVSCService.exe
C:\Program Files\Cobian Backup 10\cbService.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgam.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\ReflectService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Cobian Backup 10\cbInterface.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\USB F5D7050\Wireless Utility\Belkinwcui.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\RALINK\Common\RaUI.exe
C:\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin
C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\ForceField.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HTTPFilter
E:\Sarah\software\antispyware\problem June 2011\dds.scr
.
============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============
.
uStart Page = file:///E:/Sarah/system/Bookmarks.html
uURLSearchHooks: ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar: {91da5e8a-3318-4f8c-b67e-5964de3ab546} - c:\program files\zonealarm_security\tbZone.dll
mURLSearchHooks: AVG Security Toolbar BHO: {a3bc75a2-1f87-4686-aa43-5347d756017c} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper: {06849e9f-c8d7-4d59-b87d-784b7d6be0b3} - c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 7.0\activex\AcroIEHelper.dll
BHO: AVG Safe Search: {3ca2f312-6f6e-4b53-a66e-4e65e497c8c0} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\avgssie.dll
BHO: ZoneAlarm Security Engine Registrar: {8a4a36c2-0535-4d2c-bd3d-496cb7eed6e3} - c:\program files\checkpoint\zaforcefield\trustchecker\bin\TrustCheckerIEPlugin.dll
BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper: {9030d464-4c02-4abf-8ecc-5164760863c6} - c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
BHO: ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar: {91da5e8a-3318-4f8c-b67e-5964de3ab546} - c:\program files\zonealarm_security\tbZone.dll
BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO: {a3bc75a2-1f87-4686-aa43-5347d756017c} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class: {e7e6f031-17ce-4c07-bc86-eabfe594f69c} - c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
TB: AVG Security Toolbar: {ccc7a320-b3ca-4199-b1a6-9f516dd69829} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
TB: ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar: {91da5e8a-3318-4f8c-b67e-5964de3ab546} - c:\program files\zonealarm_security\tbZone.dll
TB: ZoneAlarm Security Engine: {ee2ac4e5-b0b0-4ec6-88a9-bca1a32ab107} - c:\program files\checkpoint\zaforcefield\trustchecker\bin\TrustCheckerIEPlugin.dll
uRun: [CTFMON.EXE] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
uRun: [MSMSGS] "c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
uRun: [Cobian Backup 10 Interface] "c:\program files\cobian backup 10\cbInterface.exe" -service
mRun: [AVG9_TRAY] c:\progra~1\avg\avg9\avgtray.exe
mRun: [NWEReboot]
mRun: [NeroFilterCheck] c:\windows\system32\NeroCheck.exe
mRun: [HP Software Update] "c:\program files\hewlett-packard\hp software update\HPWuSchd.exe"
mRun: [HP Component Manager] "c:\program files\hp\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
mRun: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
mRun: [DeviceDiscovery] c:\program files\hewlett-packard\digital imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
mRun: [ZoneAlarm Client] "c:\program files\zone labs\zonealarm\zlclient.exe"
mRun: [ISW] "c:\program files\checkpoint\zaforcefield\ForceField.exe" /icon="hidden"
mRun: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "c:\program files\common files\java\java update\jusched.exe"
dRun: [CTFMON.EXE] c:\windows\system32\CTFMON.EXE
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\ianpet~1\startm~1\programs\startup\openof~1.lnk - c:\program files\openoffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\adobeg~1.lnk - c:\program files\common files\adobe\calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\adober~1.lnk - c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 7.0\reader\reader_sl.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\belkin~1.lnk - c:\program files\belkin\usb f5d7050\wireless utility\Belkinwcui.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\hpoddt~1.lnk - c:\program files\hewlett-packard\digital imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\ralink~1.lnk - c:\program files\ralink\common\RaUI.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\winzip~1.lnk - c:\winzip\WZQKPICK.EXE
IE: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - c:\progra~1\micros~2\office11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
IE: {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
IE: {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe
DPF: {0D41B8C5-2599-4893-8183-00195EC8D5F9} - hxxp://support.asus.com/common/asusTek_sys_ctrl.cab
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_24-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_22-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0024-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_24-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_24-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - hxxp://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
Handler: avgsecuritytoolbar - {F2DDE6B2-9684-4A55-86D4-E255E237B77C} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
Handler: cetihpz - {CF184AD3-CDCB-4168-A3F7-8E447D129300} - c:\program files\hp\hpcoretech\comp\hpuiprot.dll
Handler: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - c:\program files\avg\avg9\avgpp.dll
Notify: !SASWinLogon - c:\program files\superantispyware\SASWINLO.DLL
Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll
SEH: Internet Shortcut: {fbf23b40-e3f0-101b-8488-00aa003e56f8} - c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll
SEH: SABShellExecuteHook Class: {5ae067d3-9afb-48e0-853a-ebb7f4a000da} - c:\program files\superantispyware\SASSEH.DLL
.
============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============
.
R0 AvgRkx86;avgrkx86.sys;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgrkx86.sys [2010-3-2 52872]
R0 pssnap;Paramount Software Snapshot Filter;c:\windows\system32\drivers\pssnap.sys [2010-9-28 15328]
R1 AvgLdx86;AVG AVI Loader Driver x86;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgldx86.sys [2010-3-2 216400]
R1 AvgMfx86;AVG On-access Scanner Minifilter Driver x86;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgmfx86.sys [2010-3-2 29584]
R1 AvgTdiX;AVG Network Redirector;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgtdix.sys [2010-3-2 243152]
R1 SASDIFSV;SASDIFSV;c:\program files\superantispyware\sasdifsv.sys [2010-2-17 12872]
R1 SASKUTIL;SASKUTIL;c:\program files\superantispyware\SASKUTIL.SYS [2010-5-10 67656]
R1 vsdatant;vsdatant;c:\windows\system32\vsdatant.sys [2011-3-27 532224]
R2 avg9emc;AVG E-mail Scanner;c:\program files\avg\avg9\avgemc.exe [2010-7-14 921952]
R2 avg9wd;AVG WatchDog;c:\program files\avg\avg9\avgwdsvc.exe [2010-7-14 308136]
R2 cbVSCService;Cobian Backup 10 Volume Shadow Copy service;c:\program files\cobian backup 10\cbVSCService.exe [2010-10-30 67584]
R2 CobianBackup10;Cobian Backup 10;c:\program files\cobian backup 10\cbService.exe [2010-10-30 1125376]
R2 ISWKL;ZoneAlarm Toolbar ISWKL;c:\program files\checkpoint\zaforcefield\ISWKL.sys [2011-2-15 26872]
R2 IswSvc;ZoneAlarm Toolbar IswSvc;c:\program files\checkpoint\zaforcefield\ISWSVC.exe [2011-2-15 488952]
R2 ReflectService;Macrium Reflect Image Mounting Service;c:\program files\macrium\reflect\ReflectService.exe [2010-9-28 220128]
R2 vsmon;TrueVector Internet Monitor;c:\windows\system32\zonelabs\vsmon.exe -service –> c:\windows\system32\zonelabs\vsmon.exe -service [?]
S3 AVG Security Toolbar Service;AVG Security Toolbar Service;c:\program files\avg\avg9\toolbar\ToolbarBroker.exe [2010-10-26 947528]
S3 cpuz132;cpuz132;\??\c:\docume~1\ianpet~1\locals~1\temp\cpuz132\cpuz132_x32.sys –> c:\docume~1\ianpet~1\locals~1\temp\cpuz132\cpuz132_x32.sys [?]
.
=============== Created Last 30 ================
.
2011-06-16 07:51:44 105472 -c—-w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\mup.sys
2011-06-15 22:08:04 ——– d—–w- c:\windows\SxsCaPendDel
2011-06-12 17:55:42 21275 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\AegisP.sys
2011-06-12 17:55:09 344064 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt73.sys
2011-06-12 17:55:09 315392 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\AegisI5.exe
2011-06-12 17:55:09 295018 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\Install7x.dll
2011-06-12 17:55:09 2048 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt73.bin
2011-06-12 17:53:55 733184 —-a-w- c:\program files\common files\installshield\professional\runtime\10\00\intel32\iKernel.dll
2011-06-12 17:53:55 69715 —-a-w- c:\program files\common files\installshield\professional\runtime\10\00\intel32\ctor.dll
2011-06-12 17:53:55 5632 —-a-w- c:\program files\common files\installshield\professional\runtime\10\00\intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe
2011-06-12 17:53:55 32768 —-a-w- c:\program files\common files\installshield\professional\runtime\Objectps.dll
2011-06-12 17:53:55 266240 —-a-w- c:\program files\common files\installshield\professional\runtime\10\00\intel32\iscript.dll
2011-06-12 17:53:55 172032 —-a-w- c:\program files\common files\installshield\professional\runtime\10\00\intel32\iuser.dll
2011-06-12 17:53:51 180356 —-a-w- c:\program files\common files\installshield\professional\runtime\10\00\intel32\iGdi.dll
2011-06-12 17:53:50 303236 —-a-w- c:\program files\common files\installshield\professional\runtime\10\00\intel32\setup.dll
.
==================== Find3M ====================
.
2011-06-06 07:28:06 404640 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl
2011-05-02 15:31:52 692736 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\inetcomm.dll
2011-04-25 16:11:12 916480 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
2011-04-25 16:11:11 43520 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\licmgr10.dll
2011-04-25 16:11:11 1469440 ——w- c:\windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl
2011-04-25 12:01:22 385024 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\html.iec
.
============= FINISH: 15:19:52.98 ===============
Hello, your log does not indicate the presence of malicious files as far as I can tell. Maybe you want to submit the file for scanning and if it turns out to be all clear, one way of preventing AVG from catching it again is by add those files into exclusion/white list.

Go to My Computer-> Tools-> Folder Options-> View tab:
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading:
  • Select - Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck- Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Also, make sure there is no checkmark beside Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK. (Remember to Hide files and folders once done)

Please go to one of the below sites to scan the following files:
Virus Total (Recommended)
jotti.org
VirScan


click on Browse, and upload the following file for analysis:
c:\windows\system32\aegise5.dll

Then click Submit. Allow the file to be scanned, and then please copy and paste the results link(for Virus Total) here for me to see.
If it says already scanned – click "reanalyze now"
Please post the results in your next reply.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI