This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Wired connection problems

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone,

As described in the topic title, my wired connection does not work at a seemingly random time (morning?) once a day. At first I did a power cycle each time, but I found rebooting my computer temporarily fixes the problem. My wireless connection is fine - the laptop, iPad and iPhones can connect to the internet without any problems. Before this problem, my internet browsers would disconnect at random times for 2-3 minutes. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did to fix it, but I remember changing a setting on my desktop. Something about not allowing the network device/network/??? to turn off to conserve power.

OS: Windows Vista (Home Edition)
ISP: Videotron
Modem: Motorola modem (SB5100)
Router: D-Link (DIR-601)
Antivirus: Avast!
AntiMalware/Spyware: SUPER AntiSpyware.

I've enabled my windows firewall to allow my internet browsers to have access to the internet. I turned UAC off as well. The Network and Sharing panel also tells me my computer cannot connect. When I try accessing a site on Google Chrome it tells me that it is unable to find the DNS server. When I use Internet Explorer, it simply tells me it is unable to connect to the internet and I should reboot any network devices. I also cannot use any program that needs the internet (Skype, AIM, MSN, etc…)

When I play online (FFXI) I never get disconnected and the internet is fine the whole time (I can play, browse the internet and talk over ventrilo). I've previously set up a static IP, but I've reset it to its default configurations and it hasn't helped. In fact, I've played until 4:00AM and when I test my computer (between 11:00AM-12:00PM) the internet won't work. It still happens even on days I don't play. However, I'm not sure if it disconnects at a specific time of day everyday. My parents haven't complained to me when I wake up.

I've also tried switching out the wired cable connecting my computer to the router with no result. I checked my ip configurations in the command prompt to see if there was any change. I took screenshots and I didn't find anything obvious, but I might have missed something.

When it doesn't work:
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)

When it works:
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)


Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting a little annoyed with my bandaid solution and being unable to fix the problem.

Thank you very much.
Hi again, Sorry for the necro bump, but I felt it would be redundant to make a new topic with the same problem. :( OpenDNS fixed the problem for about a week and a half, then the problem presented itself again. Again, nothing else have changed since then aside from it getting a little worse; I suspect now this happens whenever my computer goes into power saving mode. (I've used the computer twice with about 3 hour break in between. When I woke my CPU up it couldn't connect to the internet.) I've set up a static IP again, but no change. Chrome still gives me the "Failed to find DNS server" error. My Network and Sharing window shows that my computer is unable to connect to the internet. Rebooting my computer seems to be the only bandaid solution so far! I don't remember if I mentioned this, but while my computer is unable to connect I'm also unable to access my dlink router (I don't know whether this is relevant, but what the heck). I haven't contacted my ISP, since this doesn't affect the wireless. My computer has been acting up a little more recently, although this might be because the A/C in my house is broken and I'm getting 25°C/77°F+ days here. I'm open to any more suggestions. Thanks again! Naosu
Open Control Panel, Power Options, click on Change Advanced Power Settings. Expand Wireless Adapter Settings then Power Saving Mode and set to Maximum Performance. See if that keeps you from losing your internet connection. Above is for Windows 7, not sure if it's exactly the same for Vista. If not let me know and I'll strart up my Vista Laptop and check it.
Hi Ztruker, It's ok, I've got it :) I've checked my power settings for my wireless adapter. It's already set at Maximum performance.
Not sure why I brought up the stuff about wireless since you are using a wired connection. Sorry. What is the make and model number of the computer? If it's a Desktop then you may want to consider replacing the network card or add a PCI network card if the one you are using is on-board. Have you tried uninstalling the network device from Device Manager then reboot and let Vista re-detect it and reload the driver. Also try downloading the latest driver for it and see if that makes a difference.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI