This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

my infection, I was being helped by satchfan

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hello satchfan, I sort of lost track of what I was doing, but I did do the last thing I was instructed to do, as far as I can see everything is clear, and I would like to thank you, what you do is important to me and alot of other people and again I would like to thank you, your a very intelligent individual and if I have any extra cash I will be sure to try and donate it to you, or in your name, thanks alot. jimmy roberts.
Hello Jimmy

Thanks for replying and for the complimentary remarks. :blush:

Thank you also for thinking of a donation to WTT

I’m glad to hear that your computer appears to be OK now, but I would suggest that you run an online scan to be sure.

Run ESET Online Scan

Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.

ESET OnlineScan 1. Click the Eset online Scanner button.
2. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

• Click on esetinstaller.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
• Double click on the Eset installer icon on your desktop.

3. Check Yes, I accept the Terms of Use
4. Click the Start button.
5. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
6. Check Scan archives
7. Push the Start button.
8. ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
9. When the scan completes, push List of found threats
10. Push Export to Text file and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
Note - when ESET doesn't find any threats, no report will be created.
11. Push the back button.
12. Push Finish
If a log has been produced it means that there has been infection{s} found so you may wish to send it in reply to this post.

===================================================

If you want this closed, I suggest a little tidying up of the tools we’ve used which will also set a restore point.

===================================================

Uninstall Combofix

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix• Click START then RUN
• Now type Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK.
Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)
• Please follow the prompts to uninstall Combofix.
• Once it's finished uninstalling itself you will receive a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully.
===================================================

Uninstall OTL
  • Double-click OTL.exe
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.
NOTE: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTL attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

===================================================

Uninstall Java and install current version

Ou have older versions of Java on your computer which can be exploited and leave you vulnerable to infection

Remove all versions of Java or JRE environment 1. Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add Remove Programs.
3. Look for all versions of Java or Java Rintime Environment, and click Uninstall. Alternatively, right-click the program and select Uninstall.
Install the latest version of Java from here

===================================================

Firewall

You're using the Windows Firewall which is not adequate protection. The main reason you should use a third-party firewall over the Windows XP Firewall is because Windows Firewall only stops incoming signals from accessing your computer. However, it will not stop Outgoing signals (possibly ones that could intrude your privacy) from sending information to the Internet or to other networks. That means if malware happens to compromise your PC again, it will be able to SEND OUT out your credit card data and any other personal information.

I suggest you install a more robust third party firewall that filters both incoming and outgoing traffic.

Download and install one of the following freeware firewalls from below:

Sygate Personal Firewall Free Edition:
Zone Alarm Free:
Comodo Personal Firewall:

NOTE only install one firewall. Having more than one could cause many programs to stop working altogether. Also, the firewalls may get in each others' way and cause some security holes that would not be there with just one firewall.

When you have done that:

Disable Windows firewall:
  • Click on Start, Settings and then Control Panel
  • Click on the Security Center icon.
  • Click on the Windows Firewall icon
  • Click Off (not recommended) and then click OK.

You should take the time to read Understanding and Using Firewalls

===================================================

Recommended programs

SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them. It blocks over 11,000 bad sites and uses no resources of your computer.

===================================================

Update and run Malwarebytes. This really is an excellent program that you should update and run on a regular basis, probably weekly.

===================================================

It’s important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.

FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated.

===================================================

MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.

===================================================

I also recommend that you read the following:

How to prevent malware by miekiemoes

I'll leave this topic open for 3n days and if I hear nothing I will take it to mean that all is well and close it as "resolved"
Safe computing

Satchfan

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI