This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Browser acting strange

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

My browser is acting strange on my pc, TomK has helped me determine that its not malware heres the link Browser acting strange, Virus?

I have tried to run IE with no add-on, i have tried the pc in safe mode with networking.

I can open http://www.google.com and do a search, the search displays but when i click on the links it just hangs and times out.

The pc is connected as i can recieve and send emails, even emails with attachments.

I have tried alsorts of things, flushing dns and pinging sites at the cmd prompt which do work.

Im nearlly at the point of reformating, as its driving me nuts.

I have two pc's hard wired to a router, one pc is working fine no problems that runs XP. the one thats playing up runs vista.

Any ideas on whats going wrong, its very strange that some simple sites work.

Thanks

Jamey
Hi Jamey, welcome.

Is it only IE you are having problems with or all web browsers? Have you tried FireFox? If not, give it a try, see what happens.

If it has the same problems then I would suspect a corrupted Winsock (Windows Socket Services).

Give this a try: WinSockXP Fix

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI