Ok guys and girls, I have a problem that I have googled and observed many other people are having.
About 30 days ago, when I signed out of MSN Hotmail, I was redirected to a Google Search page with the following header: Oops! Internet Explorer could not find hmit.ww.msn.com
Have scanned all 3 computer 2 desktops and 1 laptop with at least 10 Virus, Malware, Spyware etc programs to NO avail. This is the only redirect I am getting. Note that if I sign into MSN.com and use that sign out I don't get the redirect. Have changed Home Pages, Removed Google (then get message that "your internet connection is lost"; however when I test connection it comes up connected.
OK now for some more info as to HW, Op System, Router etc.
Computer 1: Dell XPS running Win7, IE9, hardwired to Linksys Router
Computer 2: Dell 4700 running Win XP, IE8 wireless to Linksys Router
Laptop: HP Compac 6710b running Win XP, IE8 wireless to Linksys Router
OK to date here is what I have done to troubleshoot issue other that the aforementioned scans:
All 3 exhibit the same redirect and only from the Hotmail Sign out link.
All 3 exhibit the same redirect if connected directly to my Cable Modem bypassing the Router - have seens posts that Router can cause Redirect if DN address compromised.
Now hear is the kicker: Do Not Have the Redirect Problem if I take the laptop and connect to another ISP provider or to a network at another location. Have read online that a similar problem was encountered on a Verizon Network and they reset from their side. Which leads me to where I am now. I have contacted my ISP provider Zitomedia.net and had them turn in a problem ticket. The response from Customer Service was that they cannot cause this issue even though it only redirects using their modem and service. They even went so far as to tell my their Tech department would not talk to me about the issue. Do you believe that?
Well hear I am and according to Google searches on "Oops! Internet Explorer could not find hmit.ww.msn.com" are several other people with the numbers growing weekly. Looked on Microsofts Websites following links on the problem from users and they have just stopped responding after their typical answers of trying Virus Scanners etc Router DN resettings etc
While this issue is more of an inconvenience, I have a concern that what I don't know could indicate other issues. Maybe I am just being paranoid as I am being signed out of hotmail before the redirect.
Look forward to hearing from anyone - and feel free to Google the issue as stated, verifying my issue. Also contact me with any questions.
Thanks in advance - I HOPE !
My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
I do not believe this is a malware problem. From what I can tell reading what others have posted across the internet… it appears to be a DNS problem with some ISP's.
However, let's see what we can see.
Pick just one of your computers and we'll have a look.
Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)
When done, DDS.txt will open.
After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and the click UPLOAD.
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot (shut down your computer then restart it).
Tomk,
Just for the record have run this on several occasions as well as Kaspersky, TrendMicro, Mcaffe and several others. Here is log results:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org
Database version: 6686
Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
5/26/2011 4:28:01 PM
mbam-log-2011-05-26 (16-28-01).txt
Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 162510
Time elapsed: 44 second(s)
Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0
Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Tomk,
Thanks for your efforts. Guess I am just stuck with the situation the way it is. It appears I am not alone, however. Will keep watching Google searches on issues, sooner or later someone will identify the issue and come up with a resolution.
Thanks, again