This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

IE, Dr Watson, and Bonjour

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been screened for malware and logs may be found here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…18524&st=15

I seem to be having 3 problems.

1. IE 7 and IE 8 shut down unexpectedly. No error messages, it just shuts off.

2. Other times I get the message that IE encountered a problem and needs to close. Then I get the message that Dr. Watson Debugger has a problem and needs to close and sometimes same thing for Bonjour Service. I usually agree to send Microsoft messages about these problems. Then IE freezes and won't shut down so I tell it to End Now and send Microsoft that message.

3. Other times the whole computer freezes and Ctrl-Alt-Del produces no response. I have to shut down manually. I wait 40-60 sec. and turn on the computer. The first time, the monitor doesn't come on so I have to shut down again manually and wait, turn machine on and it boots up okay. This only happens after a manual shutdown.

I'm running Windows XP on a desk top computer.
Hi heehaw2 If you already have adequate 3rd. party security, I'd remove Dr. Watson.debugger (I hated it) and see how you go. It's been known to cause weird problems. Cheers, Lee

If you already have adequate 3rd. party security, I'd remove Dr. Watson.debugger (I hated it) and see how you go.

Dr Watson has nothing to do with security - and I don't like it either - not on XP anyways.

Bonjour is an Apple Service. Do you use an Apple Device? It is sometime installed with printer software, but is not normally needed.

1. IE 7 and IE 8 shut down unexpectedly. No error messages, it just shuts off.


Do you actually have an instance of IE 7 available to run, as well as a separate instance of IE8? On the same XP machine?
No, I had IE 7 and went to IE 8 to see if that would fix the problem and it hasn't. I just used a Microsoft fix to disable Dr. Watson. I don't use any Apple devices but my kids have in the past. The Bonjour error message doesn't come up as frequently as the other 2. IE is still shutting down unexpectedly.
Well, if the kids had an iPod and used iTunes, that might explain Bonjour. If me, I would uninstall it.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Note too that many IE problems are actually caused by add-ons conflicting with IE, or other add-ons. You can reset IE8 from Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and hit Reset.
As you describe the problem, you attribute the freeze/shut-downs to Internet Explorer.

And it might very well be a problem of corrupted files in your IE.
At this point, I can't say one way or another if it is or isn't.

You could certainly attempt to uninstall IE 8, which will roll you back to either IE 7 or IE 6

Here's instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700#stepsforadv2

Steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003
Click here to view or hide detailed information

Important You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 8 if it is set as not removable. This occurs if you install Internet Explorer 8 before you install Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP. If this scenario applies to you, then you must uninstall SP3 before you can uninstall Internet Explorer 8. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
950719 You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1. Close all programs.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click Add or Remove Programs.
4. In the list of currently installed programs, click Windows Internet Explorer 8, and then click Remove.

Note If Windows Internet Explorer 8 does not appear in the list of installed updates, try the alternative steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003 .
5. Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.


If that solves your problem, you may wish to re-install IE 8 freshly, or may prefer to continue with IE 7 (I don't recommend staying with IE 6)

Alternatively, do you have another Browser such as Firefox, Chrome, or Opera?
If you do, do these browsers function without problem?

If all browsers cause freeze/shut-down, then we may be dealing with a more basic problem.

Since you've recently had an infection and removal of infected files, some of the XP operating system files may have gone missing or become corrupted.

Consider running System File Protection - System file Checker
from a command prompt type: sfc /scannow - then press Enter

You may need your XP installation CD to complete the sfc scan.

You may also benefit from the disk scan tool to repair any file structure problems.

From a command prompt type: CHKDSK /r - then press enter

You will be warned that CHKDSK /r cannot be run because files are in use, and you will be invited to run CHKDSK /r upon rebooting your machine.
Agree typing "Y" for yes, then reboot.

Beyond the above, we may be dealing with a corrupted video driver or other driver.
Or we could find that the problem is hardware related.

Please complete the routines recommended above.
If no solution is resolved, post back so that we can explore additional steps.
I had the problem with IE 7 originally. I upgraded to IE 8 and still had the problem. I used add/remove programs to completely uninstall both along with updates and the reinstalled IE 8 and still have the problem. I use Firefox as an alternative and have not had that type of problem with it. I prefer the bookmarks in IE. I did not run the System File Checker because I don't have a disk for Windows XP sp3. The only disk I can find is for sp2, may be from an older computer. I ran the disc scan tool. I left it running and when I came back the Windows login screen was up. Does it tell you what it found or did? Still have the unexpected IE shutdown problem.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI