This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

divx possibly affected ?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Given I have an old HP Desktop, recently my computer has begun to run strangely, slower, and more problematic then before. Around the time I noticed this I had downloaded divx. I understand this program to not be harmful and aid in multimedia processes. Am I wrong? Mainly I hear my computer processing more than it used to and notice it generally slower. (Although I don't notice a high difference in the cpu process box). Also now when I run video from netflix, hulu, megavideo, and others I hear it struggling and errors occur like glitches and shut downs. I have ran avast and other maleware checkers with no infection results. I also tried to uninstall divx, but it won't completely go away with both their own uninstall and the uninstall program in windows' control panel. Any ideas? Thanks for your help again.
Hi sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing.
Usually problems in the running of a computer are linked to recent actions taken… so if it was running fine and then you installed divx and immediately the problems started then I think you are wise to uninstall it.

The standard procedure for remedying an incomplete uninstall is as follows:
1 Reinstall the divx and reboot your computer
2 Next try the uninstall again… you can use the Add and Rremove applet from within the Windows Control Panel for this.
3 When it has done, you must reboot your computer to complete the uninstall…
4 if you are still having problems then repeat the reinstall and then after a reboot try using the uninstall facility from within Ccleaner available from here:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner
5 then reboot your computer.
6 If you are still having issproblems with the uninstall then do the reinstall again and the reboot and then try the revo uninstaller (free version) available from here:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst…e_download.html
7 then reboot your computer.

8 Some folks when installing or uninstalling applications tend to "forget" to reboot their computer (close it down for a full shutdown
(not a sleep /hibernate/standby) wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen and then restart it AND then wait 5 minutes by the clock, not a second earlier!) before carrying out the next step!….. if you miss out these important procedural steps then it will create problems with an incomplete uninstall!

9 The final step if all else fails would be to set back your computer in time using a System Restore Point created before the problem started
Here's how:
10 Click on Start
11 Click on All Programs
12 Click on Accessories>System Tools> System Restore
13 Select the appropriate System Restore point and follow onscreen directions.
Note this procedure should not affect correctly filed data files… but as always make sure your back up is 100% accurate, reproducible, comprehensive, and kept safe on removable media before you start.

Regards
paws
Thanks paws, I have gotten through step 5 and while it appears to have worked when you run a search there still are files and programs for divx all over the place. I'm about to start the revo process, but there is an alarming thing happening. After the first uninstall and reboot, my computer is taking a strangely long to time load up. It opens to the blue hp screen and stays there with no computing sounds for 5 minutes then goes to a blank, I guess DOS screen while it takes another 3 or 5 minutes to finally load up windows. ??? Well I'm going to go on with the next step, but stop before the system restore, because this slowed start up seems very off. Any ideas on that would be great. Thanks again
Hey paws. So I went ahead with all the steps and divx is still here slowing me down. I didn't have system restore set to on so I couldn't go back before todays date. Any other ideas? Also the slowed start up is still happening. Thanks
Before attempting to uninstall DIVX, open Task Manager (ctrl - alt - del) Stop all instances of DIVX, including DIVX related Codecs, and DIVX updater. Then open Control Panel - Add Remove Select to uninstall DIVX When the menu asking what features you'd like to uninstall come up, select all and proceed with uninstall.
Hi, You will need to look at the "Processes" tab in Task Manager and find any processes relating to Divx ( this is where your trusty search engine will help) and when you have found a relevant process then right click it and select "end process tree" you will get a warning … if you are sure you have searched correctly and it is a divx process then accept the warning and proceed,… you will need to repeat the whole exercise until all your processes shown in task manager are clear of divx ..then you need to run the UNinstall again (not the install part) In view of all the other problems you are also experiencing with your computer I would be inclined to consider using a disc image made when your computer was running fast and sweet and with no problems…as this may be a good time to consider if you should use it to reimage your boot drive. In any event make sure that everything that is important to you on your machine (anything that would be inconvenient if you lost it) is fully backed up (copied to removable media) and is accurate, reproducible, and comprehensive. Even if your latest back up is only a day or two out of date take the opportunity now to bring it bang up to date and check it's accurate and reproducible. Regards paws

Hi,
You will need to look at the "Processes" tab in Task Manager and find any processes relating to Divx ( this is where your trusty search engine will help) and when you have found a relevant process then right click it and select "end process tree" you will get a warning … if you are sure you have searched correctly and it is a divx process then accept the warning and proceed,… you will need to repeat the whole exercise until all your processes shown in task manager are clear of divx ..then you need to run the UNinstall again (not the install part)

Hey mate,

From what I could find, the processes associated with DivX are:

DivX Player.exe
DivXUpdate.exe
EncodeDivXExt.dll


However, if you have divx.exe on your processes, then this is a virus and you will need to go to the section linked below

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=27

-Daniel

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI