This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Computer Freezing

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey,

I've been here several times in the past over the years. Last night, I went to install the latest version of divx+ player and never finished the install. In fact, it froze the computer. I then went into add/remove programs to uninstall Divx, but cannot. Also, during the install my ZoneAlarm detected SYMINSTALLSTUB.EXE trying to access the interent. Thinking it was part of the install, I allowed it.

I removed some older programs, such as Samsung Camcorder software from 2005/2006.

A few probs I'd like fixed if possible:

Upon rebooting, it is auto running Windows Installer for 'Photogallery' looking for a disc. In Task Manager it is showing msiexec.exe

In Task Manager I noticed it is putting the SYMINSTALLSTUB.EXE in the processes.

If I try to end some stuff in Task Manager, it freezes. I can still do other stuff on the computer, but I know this isn't right. Windows Explorer has froze up amongst other important window tasks…Please help!

Here is my HiJackthis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 4:45:17 PM, on 5/11/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17096)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsiExec.exe
G:\WEST END GAMES\HijackThis.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DivX\Symantec\SymInstallStub.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\defs\11051100\Sf.bin

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VerizonServicepoint.exe] C:\Program Files\Verizon\Servicepoint\VerizonServicepoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymInstallStub] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DivX\Symantec\SymInstallStub.exe /partnerid=divx /productlist=nss /staging=true /delay=5 /lang=English /desktopshortcut=1 /startmenushortcut=1 /tasktries=9
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: GA311 Smart Wizard Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR GA311 Adapter\GA311.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Port Mapper.lnk = C:\Program Files\WestEndGames\HomeNetMagic\PortMapper\PortMapper.exe
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: vzTCPConfig - http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings…vzTCPConfig.CAB
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - https://activatemyfios.verizon.net/sdcCommo…IOS/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english/kavwebscan_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/ZIntro.cab56649.cab
O16 - DPF: {C3F79A2B-B9B4-4A66-B012-3EE46475B072} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe…nt.cab56907.cab
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: Freenet background service (freenet) - Tanuki Software, Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Freenet\bin\wrapper-windows-x86-32.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: LicCtrl Service (LicCtrlService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

–
End of file - 9218 bytes
:welcome: SYMINSTALLSTUB.EXE <–This is part of Symantec, have you tried to uninstall Symantec at one time ? I also see Avast installed, more than one Anti Virus can cause problems
I used to have Norton's on this machine, many years ago, and I took one of your reps advice and uninstalled it, and put Avast on my machine. The syminstallstub.exe got installed during the installation of the new divx + player package. The install froze. I then CTL-ATL-TAB'd and could'n't end program there. That also froze. I rebooted. I also uninstalled some old programs that I don't use anymore. During the uninstall of Samsung Camcorder suite, that also froze. Including during Task Manager. Again, rebooted. Upon rebooting, it now tries to install a program called PhotoGallery. In Task manager, it is running msiexec.exe . I think this may be a problem stemming from the uninstall freezing and then me having to reboot. I've since done a system restore point to this past Monday (before all these probs). It said it couldn't find a restore point, but the syminstallstub.exe no longer appears. It does still run msiexec.exe "Photo Gallery", of which I have to end using Task Manager. This takes several attempts before it stops trying. During that time, it is looking for a CD. I'm not sure this is a malware/virus problem, but I could certainly use any help/advice you may offer.
Hi,

Not sure if this is malware related, dont see any on your HJT log

Lets stop that from running and see if it helps

Open HijackThis > Do a System Scan Only, close your browser and all open windows including this one, the only program or window you should have open is HijackThis, check the following entries and click on Fix Checked.

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymInstallStub] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DivX\Symantec\SymInstallStub.exe /partnerid=divx /productlist=nss /staging=true /delay=5 /lang=English /desktopshortcut=1 /startmenushortcut=1 /tasktries=9

Let me know how it went
Remember, I did a system restore point to last Monday. Although it said it couldn't find a restore point, the syminstallstub.exe is apparently gone. The computer does still try to install 'Photo Gallery' looking for a CD. I need to run Task Manager to end this process. I just ran a scan and the "O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymInstallStub] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DivX\Symantec\SymInstallStub.exe /partnerid=divx /productlist=nss /staging=true /delay=5 /lang=English /desktopshortcut=1 /startmenushortcut=1 /tasktries=9" is no longer there. How can fix this other problem where is is running msiexec.exe. I believe this is from when I did an uninstall of the Samsung Video suite. It never finished uninstalling. Computer stalled and I rebooted.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI