Software
mmc.exe
2 min read
free
Topic Starter
Hey,
When trying to open device manager, I keep getting an error message saying mmc.exe not found??
Can i get some help on how to fix this, I think it might be something to do with Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1??
Cheers
Free
Nahumi
Hello free,
Have you made any recent changes to your computer, installed any new applications or run any "optimisation" tools?
Have you tried running SFC (System File Checker) to verify and fix system files? If not, just go to your Start Menu, click Run and type "cmd" and hit enter to open up Command Prompt. Then type "SFC /scannow" and hit enter. The process may take a few minutes, but it should fix any corrupted system files.
When was the last time you remember Device Manager working?
Cheers,
Nahumi
Ztruker
There is a very good debugging post in this thread by Mowgreen, see if anything there helps you.
Cannot open device manager, mmc.exe not found. Windows XP
Cannot open device manager, mmc.exe not found. Windows XP
free
Hey Nahumi
I tried to do the scannow procedure at cmd but i get a message asking for windows XP installation cd, which i currently don't have? I have had a look around at a few websites and this seems to be a common problem? I have posted a link below on maybe one way to get around the Windows XP cd. I just wanted to get your advice on weather i should try this??????
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Cheers
Free
I tried to do the scannow procedure at cmd but i get a message asking for windows XP installation cd, which i currently don't have? I have had a look around at a few websites and this seems to be a common problem? I have posted a link below on maybe one way to get around the Windows XP cd. I just wanted to get your advice on weather i should try this??????
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Cheers
Free
free
Hey Rich,
I have had a look at this website, I understand it but i am having trouble with a few of the steps. Can you help me get this underway????
Cheers
Free
Doug
Hey Nahumi
I tried to do the scannow procedure at cmd but i get a message asking for windows XP installation cd, which i currently don't have? I have had a look around at a few websites and this seems to be a common problem? I have posted a link below on maybe one way to get around the Windows XP cd. I just wanted to get your advice on weather i should try this??????
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Cheers
Free
The procedure recommended by Marc Liron is a competent and safe work-around.
free
cheers,
just a question how do i locate the C:\I386 folder?? in step 1.
Ztruker
C:\I386 is either there or it's not. If it is then you can use it as the Marc Liron article says.If not then there is nothing you can do as you don't have a XP install CD.
As for the link I gave you, what do you need help with?
- show hidden files & folders
- check .NET install
- use .NET repair
- Clean boot
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI