This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

SOLVED! KB2508429 failed. Anyone else getting this?

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I can't remember ever having a Windows patch failing to install. I went to the Windows update site. It said I had it downloaded already, so I told it to install. Failed again. Any ideas? Any cause for concern?
I see you also posted this in techguy.org. Please pick one support site and stay with it, thanks

Anything of interest in Event Viewer? Also look in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log and see if any indication there as to why it's failing.

I see you also posted this in techguy.org. Please pick one support site and stay with it, thanks

Anything of interest in Event Viewer? Also look in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log and see if any indication there as to why it's failing.



Why should I limit myself to one support forum? Two heads are better than one, and hundreds may be the cat's pajamas. Unless there is a rule that WTT is exclusive, I will post where I please, as many times as it takes to get useful answers. You, after all, looked in other forums for an answer, didn't you? You're welcome.

As for the event viewer:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070003: Security Update for Windows XP (KB2508429).

I clicked to let it tell MS, and see whar they said :


Details
ID: 20
Source: Windows Update Agent

We're sorry
There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere.


As for C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log, this path doesn't have a Logs or CBS directory. I searched my system for cbs.log - nothing.


Thanks for your help.

G00k

I see you also posted this in techguy.org. Please pick one support site and stay with it, thanks



Why should I limit myself to one support forum? Two heads are better than one, and hundreds may be the cat's pajamas. Unless there is a rule that WTT is exclusive, I will post where I please, as many times as it takes to get useful answers. You, after all, looked in other forums for an answer, didn't you? You're welcome.



Hi G00k,

I do appreciate that you'd like to get an answer as quickly as possible.
And your strategy of posting at more than one Forum, may indeed get you an answer sooner.

As a forum of helpers, we also have our preferences and experience of what works out best for folks who post for help here.

It is not a matter of WTT considering itself "exclusive" or anything of the sort.

Rather, it is a matter of resources and follow-up.

– Most of our Tech helpers and practically all of the Malware helpers work at more than one Forum.
Theoretically one helper could end up answering the same question for the same person at multiple Forums without even realizing it.

– More problematic is that a helper at one site may start researching a question (which can sometimes take 1/2 hour or even a few hours.)
If the Person who posted the Problem has also posted at other forums, the solution may already have been discovered, yet our helper may still be laboring to discover the solution, resources and formulate a helpful reply, never knowing that the problem has already been solved elsewhere.

– Even more problematic is the potential of conflicting instructions, where more than one helper has suggested procedures to follow to solution, but those procedures may be so different as to conflict and cause more problems to the Originally Posting Member, than if they followed only one thread of procedure.

Granted, it may more often work out in your favor, and only rarely cause our helpers additional work or redundant work.
__________________________

Ztruker may have initiated a search for KB2508429 related errors.
In the process, if a similar or same question has recently been asked at another Forum, it is very likely to come up in the search.
If another Forum has a solution, more than likely we and you could benefit from it.
Most often, "found solutions" are not a direct fit for the the problem, and require some primary source and composed steps to actually solve the problem you may post.

Techguy.org and other Forums are worthy resources who come up with effective solutions.
You have freedom to ask for help where ever you like.

Sometimes it may create a conflict of work, conflict of resources, or rarely conflict of solution.

My purpose in replying to you, is not to discourage you in any way, but rather to provide insight as to why it often works better for the Forum Helper, for Members to follow-through only at one Forum at a time.

Best Regards

I will post where I please, as many times as it takes to get useful answers. You, after all, looked in other forums for an answer, didn't you?


I hope you get a good result elsewhere.

Why should I limit myself to one support forum? Two heads are better than one, and hundreds may be the cat's pajamas. Unless there is a rule that WTT is exclusive, I will post where I please, as many times as it takes to get useful answers. You, after all, looked in other forums for an answer, didn't you? You're welcome.

G00k, you either be respectful to the Tech Members here that offer free help or you won't be posting here any longer.

If you have a Windows Update issue, I suggest you work with MS.

Issues with Windows Updates.

Microsoft Help and Support worldwide. Go to this page and choose your region from the box in the upper right corner: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome
My apologies if I offended anyone. I felt brushed-off when ztruker asked me to pick a forum and stick with it. There was no explanation with that remark. I have been on both sides of the computer service equation over the past 30+ years, and I have learned that qualifying answers and taking just a moment to not be brusque is a valuable characteristic for anyone who wants to help anyone else. I do extensive searching before I post. I compose my questions offline to try to refine and clarify my questions so as not to take everyone down the wrong path. And because I do that and use the same username, I hope to reach the most help without wasting their time. The duplication would be immediately obvious, and discarded. I report back when a solution works so others can benefit. I think I am a pretty decent net-citizen. So please forgive me for standing up for myself. If you want me to go away, just have the forum admin tell me. Gosh
I got a suggestion from raybro on another forum. In C:\Windows\softwaredistribution, there is a folder "Downloads". It was suggested that I rename it "Downloads.old", and windows update would create it again when it tried to download.

When the shield appeared saying it found updates to download, I saw that it was again looking to download KB2508429. I changed the name of the download folder as specified, and then clicked to download the patch. It did. Then it asked to install it, which I allowed. It completed successfully, and after restarting, I could see it in the add/remove list in my control panel.

Thanks for your attention. And Thanks, raybro

G00k

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI