Third virus in two weeks! This is out of control! Of course this is happening on the work computer, my home computer I run a tight ship.
I had the Windows Restore virus that gave me all these error messages (RAM is low, hard disk failure, etc) and a fake Windows Restore screen popped up and did a "scan". I manually killed the processes and ran Malwarebytes. Then I restarted and did SuperAntiSpyware. The worst part is over, now there are a few issues to deal with.
1. The Internet Explorer script error windows that pop up, 4 in a row, every few minutes. Even when I don't have IE open. It always contains a link to some weird random site.
2. Google search redirecting. Clicking on a search result link and being forwarded to some wierd random page.
3. My Quick Launch icons are gone and I can't figure out how to get them back. Properties - Taskbar - "Show Quick Launch" is checked. Toolbars - Quick Launch is checked.
4. Start Menu - Programs list is gone. I recovered a few items but most of the listings are gone.
Can someone please help me?
Well, I have figured out how to get the Favorites/Programs/Quick Launch back. I couldn't find anywhere online that said how to do this so hopefully by posting it I can help someone else.
* Make sure SHOW HIDDEN FOLDERS/FILES is on
* GO TO: My computer - C:/ - Documents and Settings
* I went to every user folder and made sure everything was unhidden (right click - properties - uncheck Hidden)
* When I un-hid Application Data under Administrator, all my start menu programs came back.
* Quick Launch and my Favorites are back too.
Now I just need to fix these script errors, get Windows Update to work, and stop the Google redirecting.
Hi, welcome to the WTT Forums. My username is Raktor, and I would be glad to help you with your malware issues. I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean
Please do not run any scans or fixes without my direction.
Finally, stay with this topic until I give you the final 'All clear' post.
1) DDS [external image: Posted Image]
Please download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.
When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
DDS.txt
Attach.txt
Save both reports to your desktop.
2) GMER
Please download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here.
Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
Double click GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.
In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
Sections
IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
Show All (don't miss this one)
Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and put it in your next reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries