This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

firefox browser redirect

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After entering text in address bar (or subject in google search) the word 'redirect' or 'jump' flashes across the title bar and I am laid at the foot of some foolish or insulting advertisement or unheard- of-till-now search engine. Obviously I – my browser – have been waylaid. I have of late, I confess, fallen prey to questionable offers and have on occasion trampled where the brave dare not go. (I went; nuff said). Please advise remedy to this egregiously self-inflicted wound.
Hi swellFella,

Welcome to WhattheTech. My name is Blottedisk and I will be helping you with your malware issues. Before we delve into this, please take a look at the following notes:

  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. You can subscribe by clicking the Watch Topic button to the right of your topic title and then choosing the notification method ( Recommended: Inmediate Notification)
  • Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.
  • The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then the thread will be locked due to inactivity. However, if you will be away, let us know and we will be sure to keep the thread open.
——————————————————-

Ok, let's get started. Quick question: Is this issue only happening on Firefox? What about Internet Explorer?


Please follow the steps below in order:


Step 1 | Download DDS from any of the links below:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 2

——————————————————————–
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.
  • Double-Click on dds and a command window will appear. This is normal.
  • Shortly after two logs will appear:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • A window will open instructing you save & post the logs.
  • Save the logs to a convenient place such as your desktop.
  • Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply.
  • Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and then click UPLOAD.


Step 2 | Please download aswMBR to your desktop.

  • Double click the aswMBR icon to run it.
    Vista and Windows 7 users right click the icon and choose "Run as administrator".
  • Click the Scan button to start scan.
  • When it finishes, press the save log button, save the logfile to your desktop and post its contents in your next reply.

[external image: Posted Image]
Click the image to enlarge it


Step 3 | Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:

Main Mirror - This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
Zipped Mirror - This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.

——————————————————————–

  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.

Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

[external image: Posted Image]

  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system…click NO.
  • Make sure all options are checked except:
  • IAT/EAT
  • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive, which is typically C:\
  • Show All (This is important, so do not miss it.)

[external image: Posted Image]
Click the image to enlarge it

  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save… button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
– If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.
Firstly, thanks so much for the warm welcome. Secondly, ditto for the speedy get-back. Now. The first snag: I downloaded DDS, saved it to the desktop, etc. However, after I ran it, the command box appeared, and sat there. And sat there. First time, thirty-five minutes. This morning for about the same. I know it says it should take 3 or so minutes, but I just let it run assuming it would do it's thing in time. No deal. The command box mentions killing any possible script blocking tools, etc., but I can't imagine any such thing running on comp now. My security center is blocked from opening, my AVG protection is prevented from opening, Spybot is disengaged; indeed, presently I have no protection at all presumably as a result of the infection for which I appealing to you folks. I don't know what to do at this point. Should I omit DDS and continue to the next step? Oh. In answer to your question IE also suffers from the same redirect malady. :pullhair:
Hi swellFella, DDS won't take too much. It's your AVG antivirus that it's blocking it… or it may be your onboard infection that may be preventing it from running. In any case, please continue with the other two steps.
Due to the lack of feedback, this Topic is closed. If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please request this by sending me a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI