I have run Mcafee and avast scans and spybot scans and was told by the dell rep that i have an infection and they want 200.00 to fix it. I have been trying to post my hijack log but it says that it cannot find the file and it won't save it so I can copy and post it. There is also a message at the beginning of the program before it runs the scan that says the access to the hosts is denied. I am not sure what to do to find out where my system is infected. Please help
My name is Satchfan and I would be glad to help you with your computer problem. Please read the following guidelines which will help to make cleaning your machine easier:
• Please follow all instructions in the order posted
• Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
• If you don't understand something, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification before proceeding
• The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
• Please reply within 3 days. If you do not reply within this period I will post a reminder but topics with no reply in 4 days will be closed! IMPORTANT:
Please do not install/uninstall any programs unless asked to.
Please do not run any scans other than those requested
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here to your desktop. It will be a randomly named executable.
double click the exe file.
if it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO, then use the following settings for a more complete scan.
in the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Ensure the following are unchecked
IAT/EAT
drives/partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
Show Allb (don't miss this one)
then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries
Hello nosenothing
It has been several days since I asked you to follow some steps to help diagnose your computer problems.
Please let me know if you still need help.
Thanks
Satchfan