Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

pc extremly slow when browser is open

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 phil.j

phil.j

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:16 AM

I was in the malware section and determined that I was fine as far as malware goes, and was referred to post here. I am running Windows Xp Home Version 2002 SP3 AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.20 GHZ 448 MB Ram 74.4 GB HDD 10.5 GB Free I have IE and Firefox installed but use firefox mostly. Everytime I open the browser it ends up using over 100MB, my commit charge ends up being like 1200MB and up out of 1500. I will post my pc pitstop results later, it never got past "checking processor" waiting over 30 min. So here is a copy of my Hijackthis log file: Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4 Scan saved at 2:45:26 AM, on 4/4/2011 Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702) Boot mode: Normal --== Dump Hidden Services ==-- No hidden services found. Thanks in advance Phil

Edited by LDTate, 05 April 2011 - 12:19 PM.
Removed HJT log

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:31 AM

Hello phil.j, Sorry to hear you're having problems. Have you always had this problem, or did it occur recently? If it's only just started happening, did you install any programs or change any hardware before or afterwards? Have you got any other programs running at the same time? My gut feeling is that your system just doesn't have enough RAM. This means that the majority of data is being moved in and out of Virtual Memory. Running just from Virtual Memory is much slower than running from RAM. Virtual Memory is generally intended to serve as a "holding area" for data with a lower priority. If the commit charge is around 1.5GB, it means only a third of the total commit is provided by your RAM. What's the total memory usage when you use Firefox? Cheers, Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 phil.j

phil.j

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

I was able to use pc pitstop this morning This has been going on for a while. When I got this pc a few years ago it was much faster and didn't slow down to a crawl when I am surfing. Also when I open an office app or when I boot the machine, it takes much longer than it should. What I have been doing is going to task manager and kill the firefox and plugincontainer process's and restart the apps again. Which takes a long time to load. It gets so slow at time I can actually see the desktop icons "paint" after closing my apps. Well I don't have to have other apps running, I mostly use firefox because it seems to run a little better than IE. Right now I am using IE (used pc pitstop this am). And I am using 892 out of 1052 in task manager. I have the same amount of ram on my laptop and it is not this slow. When I try to open or close another tab it takes forever. I will get program not responding it will take a while like about 5 min or so enough of time to have a smoke, then firefox will do what ever I wanted it to do, sometimes longer. Right now using IE, the task manger shows two instances of IE running. The first instance showing 148524 KB and the second 15628 KB. Firefox will get up in the 200's after a while. It starts of aroudn 15000 or so and as I open tabs and close them it just rises and rises. And usually I have to use task manager, clean cache and temp files and restart. Phil

#4 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
    Software Development

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

Right, okay. Have you got a link to the PC Pitstop report?
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr

#5 phil.j

phil.j

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24292632

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

i agree with Nahumi, your problem is mainly lack of ram, and because your hard drive is so full, with lots of fragmentation this compounds the problem slowing down the data transfer to the page file on the hard drive. just doing basic drive maintenance should see some speed improvement. fixes include lowering the amount of space you have allocated for system restore, defragging the hard drive, running a program such as ccleaner to clean up any unneeded files, moving anything that can be moved off that drive and onto a backup drive or cd/dvd media. :popcorn:

#8 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
    Software Development

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, as terry said, some basic maintenance should fix the problem.

In addition to Ztrukers advice, which should aid in decreasing Boot time and help with the overall responsiveness of the system, you may want to consider uninstalling any unused programs. Just go to Start Menu and then the Control Panel, choose "Add or Remove Programs" and uninstall anything you don't really use anymore. Try not not to uninstall drivers or utilities.

A good de-fragmentation routine and periodic clean ups should stop things getting worse.

But, maintenance and tweaking can only get you so far. Web browsers are becoming increasingly resource intensive, as are web pages. The more tabs you have open, the more images you have download, the more your computer needs to work. Installing more RAM in addition to cleaning up your computer will make everything much more responsive. RAM is very cheap these days, so it shouldn't cost you the earth.

Either way, see if Ztruker's advice makes a difference and then once you've tried everything think about installing more RAM. If it becomes manageable after a few tweaks, there may not be a need to spend any cash.
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr

#9 phil.j

phil.j

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

I had a heck of a time getting the two bho objects that shouldn't be there. I deleted and removed some files and apps, I gained about another 15 GB. I rebooted in safe mode with networking and it doesn't bog down at all.

I tested with firefox and IE open at the same time, with 10-15 tabs open in each browser on ebay, which in the past has taken almost forever to load.

It is running as it should, my commit charge is about 401/1055.

I have almost everything in msconfig not to start on boot, but I will go back and disable everything and try it again in the am

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Excellent, sounds like you are making progress.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#11 phil.j

phil.j

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.

I tried to disable all services, I got an error "access denied, log on as admin". I tried it again and it went and rebooted a little quicker. The account I log in with is an admin account. MScofig came up, I then checked the services and "Onlibne Armor" and "online Armor Helper" service was checked.

I will do some testing to see if there is an improvement.