Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Random freezing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dirtyzerg

dirtyzerg

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

Hi, recently my comp has been randomly freezing in a very specific way.. When I am watching a video and its almost at end if i click a new video or click a link or change websites while vid is still goin my comp will freeze up entirely, having to use the power button to restart, but if i pause the video beforehand then this freeze doesnt happen Also when I am gaming and if the game is in window mode and i turn sharp to shoot someone it sometimes does this same freeze, however if the game is in fullscreen this never happens and i am unable to reproduce it while in fullscreen my comp itself seems to still run perfectly smooth and fine, there is no hardware beeps when this happens so i believe it is software Windows XP SP3 ATI Radeon HD 4850 vid card It doesnt freeze any other time then these 2 ways :S

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

Hi dirtyzerg,
Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

It might be a good idea to run an "Overdrive" test scan so we can get a complete overview of what is happening on your PC.

PC Pitstop's 'OVERDRIVE'
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

Fast, Comprehensive, and Free.
In just a few minutes OverDrive creates an extensive report of your PC's performance, security, software, drivers, and more.

Note: Vista or W7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"
Register and create a password

Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX is both SAFE and FREE.
There is a lot of stuff on that site that WTT does not endorse, so just be careful that you zero in on the "Overdrive" test only.

Before running the test, make sure all applications are closed except for the one instance of IE8.
When the test results are displayed, copy the URL from your address bar and post it here.

Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer.
At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 dirtyzerg

dirtyzerg

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24291871

not sure if this is the link u are talking about lmk if doesnt work

#4 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hi dirtyzerg,

That's the correct link, thanks.

Please download ATF Cleaner to desktop. http://majorgeeks.co...aner_d4949.html
Double click ATF and in the window that opens tick "select all" and the click on "clean".

Use ATF at least once-a-week.

I'll get back to you again as soon as I've had a good look at your Overdrive test results.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#5 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:02 PM

I've had a good look at your test results and apart from a lot of junk files (that ATF will remove) and the fact you need to do a Microsoft Update, I can't really see any obvious performance inhibitors on your PC. CPU Utilization: 22 % Total RAM Used: 418 MB RAM Utilization: 20 % You have the same powerful CPU as I do (I'm a gamer too), 2GB of ram and a decent video-card. The main concerns you might like to do something about are: * Increase Free Space (Drive C:) Disk 19% Free 43590 MB (remove any unused games and decrease your System Restore storage space to 1GB) * Last Security Update for Windows XP (KB229619 Dec 18, 2010). * BitTorrent (A very risky P2P you really should remove). * Defragment Drive C: (as a gamer, once a month for sure). See how your PC runs after all the above housekeeping and let me know if you are still having any problems. Cheers, Lee

#6 dirtyzerg

dirtyzerg

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

[quote name='Lee' date='Apr 3 2011, 11:02 PM' post='722408']

The main concerns you might like to do something about are:
43590 MB (remove any unused games and decrease your System Restore storage space to 1GB)

How do i decrease system restore usage?

#7 dirtyzerg

dirtyzerg

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

nvm i found it, changed from 12% (max) to 2903 mb (1%), couldnt find the edit button sorry for dbl post

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

12% reserved restore space (default) is an XP hangover from the days of when a 50GB hard drive was the norm. Totally ridiculous today when most HDD's are from 250GB to 1TB. One restore point = about 200mb. I find 1GB storage space for SR plenty. Cheers, Lee

#9 dirtyzerg

dirtyzerg

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

the freeze hasnt happened so far but like i said its not real common just every now and then, when it first happened i thot vid card was messing up