This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

What is wrong with my laptop?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I know how to use common computer programs but I know nothing of how to do anything maintenance-wise on here. I am sorry for posting without completing the steps in am I infected? but I'm scared to do them because the instructions don't make sense to me. I get boxes that pop up all the time. One when I first start the computer doesnt even say anything except egis and an ok button. Then I have a screen that pops up everytime I go onto a https website. It only started doing that within the last month so I have no idea what is going on. I have has laptops before and just feel like something is wrong with it. I have AVG and the scans usually don't pick anything up except tracking cookies which I googled and apparently, they don't matter. I'm computer illiterate and don't know what to do.
Hi iscis55,

:welcome:

My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

I realize all of those instructions can be confusing, but I can't do anything without a log to look at… so let's see if we can get one.

It sounds like you are running Windows 7 so you will need to right-click on the icons for programs we want to run, and select Run as Administrator.

There are 3 options in the "startup" topic. We only need one. I think DDS is the simplest so let's give that a go.

Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
    • DDS.scr
    • DDS.pif
  • Disable any script blocking protection (How to Disable your Security Programs)
  • Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
  • Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
  • Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and the click UPLOAD.

Remember that there will be two logs open in separate windows. I'd like you to post them both.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI