This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

CD not recognized but DVD is recognized and is same drive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Please help. I am running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Oxtiplex GX 620 with one CD/DVD drive Recently I installed a software program called soundtaxi and now I can not read or write cds. I can however, read DVDs. Also,the icon DVD RW appears on my machine. so my machine still sees it. I have just lost the ability to read or write mp3s and regular audio on Cd. I do not have the CD portion of the drive functioning anymore. No audio file will play nor can I burn one. As I said the DVD side of it works. How can I get the CD operational again. I tried to restore but no luck. Thanks.
Hello camasa45,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Have you tried downloading and installing the latest driver from the Dell website?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/…atid=&impid

Click on the CD/DVD to expand the list. You should choose whichever driver matches your CD/DVD drive.

If you have problems figuring out which drive you have, follow the steps below to get into Device Manager :

1. Go to your Start Menu and click "Run".
2. Type "devmgmt.msc" and hit enter.
3. Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives list and take a note of the device name.

If your CD/DVD drive has a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager, please right click, go to properties and post the error code in your next reply.

Cheers,
Nahumi
I am still having a problem. I can not even figure out how to reinstall the driver. I went to the dell site and dowloaded the driver but it is not the typical install. I can not even install it. The cd/dvd is: TS-L53B Slim 8 x /dvd+/-rw Dell suggests to download: "DE04, A04" firm ware which is a zip file. once I unzip I can not understand how to install as there is no typical thing to install.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI