This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP not recognising CD/DVDs intermittently

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Guys, I've got an interesting little problem with my Compaq Evo N620C Laptop. In the last couple of months I've been having problems with my DVD Rom Drive. The first problem was that it stopping reading DVDs (both originals and backups.) I contacted HP and they replaced it. The replacement drive worked for about 2 weeks and then the Replacement drive started doing the same thing. The only thing I can think of that I did that was different was that I loaded a new program (DVDFab Decrypter) to try to fix a scratched DVD problem I was having. I managed to fix that one but the next morning XP would not recognise DVDs, but it would recognise CDs. I contacted HP again and they sent out another swap out drive. This worked until a couple of days ago when the CDs I tried in the drive started failing to read…. Naturally I thought it was the CD so I swapped CDs and it failed as well. I tried both of the CDs in a different machine and they worked perfectly. Yesterday I tried to read a burnt DVD (I don't like to use my originals in my laptop on the way to work.) and it wouldn't read it. I checked some info and it appears that the Drive could of had some DMA issues so I attempted the fix for that (Uninstall the secondary IDE channel and the DVD-ROM Drive and then reboot to allow it to reinstall) Now it won't even read a CD or a DVD. The drive shows up but XP won't recognise any of the CDs/DVDs I try. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how do I fix it? Thanks in Advance. Schotty.
DVD drive require a Software driver which is often a brand called "Power DVD" and would have come "pre-installed", but also very likely came on a CD with your new driver. Re-install "Power DVD" or whatever brand your machine calls for. Can you now uninstall that DVD fixer program that you installed to fix the scratched DVD? Then go to Device Manager Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager Look for any yellow or red warnings, especially at CD ROM If a warning exists, double Click on CD ROM and then single click to highlight the Driver that has a warning. Right-Click and select Remove, then ReBoot and allow Windows to "find new hardware" and "install driver for new hardware". You may have to reinstall "power DVD" also after the "find new hardware" procedure. Post back with results. Best Regards
I couldn't find a Power DVD driver or similar, so I checked out the HP website and they don't have a driver for the DVD-ROM drive. Checking out the driver that is currently instaled, it's a Microsoft driver. and when I went to update it, MS came back saying there is no better driver. I've uninstalled DVDFab Decrypter and in device manager nothing was crossed out except a couple of com ports which I disabled as they aren't required by me. I removed the secondary IDE controller and the CD/DVD-ROM drive and restarted. It came up and both worked fine. I had a few things to do and after testing a couple of DVDs (they worked fine) tried another the same CD again and it failed to read. Uninstalled the drive and the controller again restarted and it added the drive in again but it did not allow me to use the drive for the CD ROM. I'm sooo not understanding why this is happening. I've also run Adaware and I'm just in the process of updating my NAV CE and will run that overnight. I will update my spybot and run it as well.
In Device Manager, click on you DVD/CD, then double-click on the Driver. Any yellow or red warnings. If so, Select Uninstall/Remove and reboot for Windows to redetect and install. On the "General Tab" screen, look down at the bottom to assure that the Device Usage is "Enabled" On the "Properties Tab" screen check to assure that the CD Player Volume is all the way to the Right (high) In the Digital CD Playback area, just below you will see the option for enabling Digital vs. Analog playback. You may need to Select - Analog. Try it out by "removing the checkmark" from "Enable digital CD" Still in Device Manager Select IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers Click on Secondary IDE Channel Any yellow or red warnings. If so, Select Uninstall/Remove and reboot for Windows to redetect and install. Again look at the bottom of the "General Tab" screen to assure that "Use this device" (Enable) is selected. On the "Advanced Settings" tab screen, Look for the following:— Device Type —- Auto Detect (should be selected) Transfer Mode—– DMA if Available (should be selected) On the "Resources" tab screen look to the bottom Conflicting Device List —– No Conflicts (should be displayed) Does your DVD/CD drive work now? Best Regards
Hi Dough, Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated. It's one of the reason's i keep coming back here. Everyone is very helpful. and why I donate when I can. In Device Manager there is nothing with a yellow or red warning on it. I've checked the general properties and the device says it's enabled and the volume is up full. The Digital CD Playback is Unchecked. I checked the secondary IDE channel and there is no warnings. In General the devce is enabled. In Advanced Settigns Device 0 type = Auto Detec Transfer Mode: DMA If Available Current Trasnfer Mode: Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 and unfortunately it still isn't working.

I checked the secondary IDE channel and there is no warnings.
In General the devce is enabled.
In Advanced Settigns Device 0 type = Auto Detec
Transfer Mode: DMA If Available
Current Trasnfer Mode: Multi-Word DMA Mode 2


This sounds more like the settings for the Primary IDE Channel

In Secondary IDE Channel - Advanced Settings
Do you have an option to change the DMA Mode 2
to simply DMA or DMA if Available
The Primary IDE Channel details are as follows: Device 0 Device Type: Auto Detection Transfer Mode: DMA If available. Current Transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5 Device 1 Device Type: Auto Detection Mode: DMA If Available. Current Mode: Not applicable. Secondary IDE Channel Properties Device 0 Type: Auto Detection Transfer Mode: DMA If available Current Trasnfer Mode: Multiword DMA Mode 2 Device 1 Device Type: Auto Detection Transfer Mode: DMA if Availabel Current Mode: Not applicable. both Primary Channel and Secondary Channel show no conflicts.
I had a look to see if I could change the Current Transfer Mode and it's greyed out. The only option is Transfer Mode which I can change from DMA if Available to PIO Only. If I change it to PIO Only and then back to DMA If Available I still don't have the chance to change the Current Transfer Mode.
Ok, It removed the drive and had a look to see if I could put a different drive (from a Dell) in. I couldn't but when I reinstalled it and started again, it's working fine. I restarted and it read the drive OK again. This is really irking me. I'm now kinda thinking it may be a dirty internal connector for the Drive but I'm not 100% sure.
Schotty, Yep DMA is the setting you want as PIO is ssssllllloooowwww, and may not even function with your machine. As to the physical re-installation…. good work. both Ribbon and power must be firmly connected. Perhaps you've get a better connection as a result of your work. I know you will really be "irked" if the problem re-appears now. Well, post back if it does. No sense being miserable all by yourself! Best Regards
I think the term is… I hate this laptop now. It worked all yesterday. I used CDs during the day and on the way home from work last night (with reboots in between) Didn't open the drive or anything. When I tried it this morning on the way to work, it didn't work. This is really starting to bug me. I'm now thinking I might send the laptop back to HP and get them to look at the machine.
I've bit the bullet and rung HP and they will be taking it away for servicing. it will be gone from tomorrow/Thursday for a week or so depending on if they need parts. The ** Cough** tech **cough** kept suggesting that I could fix it with a reinstall of Win XP but given that the laptop has Win 98 on it as well and when I boot into it, I still can't read a CD. I'm pretty sure that it won't fix the problem. On the other hadn, I couldn't read a CD today, but I can now read a DVD, so things are looking up a little. I'll just watch DVDs after I've finished doing Invoices/quotes on the train.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI