This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

i'm getting popups in IE and some in Firefox

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've noticed that for a while now that I've been getting constant popups in IE. And if they aren't popups I've gotten some page redirects in Firefox. I believe someone (I can't remember who) said before that disabling some kind of messenger service in services.msc helped with popups in IE. I looked in services.msc and couldn't find anything related to this. I can't remember if this is true or not. Maybe one of you guys could tell me. Anyway it keeps happening over and over again and it bothers me. Could anyone recommend something that could fix it? I'm not sure what to do…
My first suspecion would be some kind of malware infection. Please go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/What_Do_If_Y…ays_t78698.html

PS: The service you are talking about (I think) is Messenger. Stop it if started and Set the startup type to Disabled.

My first suspecion would be some kind of malware infection. Please go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/What_Do_If_Y…ays_t78698.html

PS: The service you are talking about (I think) is Messenger. Stop it if started and Set the startup type to Disabled.


Is that Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service? Because I don't see anything for just Messenger….
My fault. I did not notice you had Vista, I was thinking XP. Let me do a bit more research and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Hopefully in less than an hour. You really should open a thread in the malware area I gave you the link to though. I would not be at all surprised if you have some kind of infection.
Okay, found the info. Vista removed the Messenger and Alerter services so there is nothing in Services you can disable to get rid of this problem. It was replaced my msg.exe. See here: vista messenger service

Please follow my direction to open a malware thread.

Good luck.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI