Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

i'm getting popups in IE and some in Firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

I've noticed that for a while now that I've been getting constant popups in IE. And if they aren't popups I've gotten some page redirects in Firefox. I believe someone (I can't remember who) said before that disabling some kind of messenger service in services.msc helped with popups in IE. I looked in services.msc and couldn't find anything related to this. I can't remember if this is true or not. Maybe one of you guys could tell me. Anyway it keeps happening over and over again and it bothers me. Could anyone recommend something that could fix it? I'm not sure what to do...

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

My first suspecion would be some kind of malware infection. Please go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: http://forums.whatth...ays_t78698.html

PS: The service you are talking about (I think) is Messenger. Stop it if started and Set the startup type to Disabled.

Edited by Ztruker, 20 March 2011 - 07:01 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

My first suspecion would be some kind of malware infection. Please go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: http://forums.whatth...ays_t78698.html

PS: The service you are talking about (I think) is Messenger. Stop it if started and Set the startup type to Disabled.

Is that Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service? Because I don't see anything for just Messenger....

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

My fault. I did not notice you had Vista, I was thinking XP. Let me do a bit more research and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Hopefully in less than an hour. You really should open a thread in the malware area I gave you the link to though. I would not be at all surprised if you have some kind of infection.

Edited by Ztruker, 21 March 2011 - 05:44 PM.

Rich

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

Okay, found the info. Vista removed the Messenger and Alerter services so there is nothing in Services you can disable to get rid of this problem. It was replaced my msg.exe. See here: vista messenger service

Please follow my direction to open a malware thread.

Good luck.

Rich

#6 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for your help. :)