This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

virus on a mac?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I got a virus on my PC several months ago; I don't even know what site I was on when I got a bogus windows message that said it had detected a virus and gave me a list of programs to fix it; I ended up with a virus on my computer. Today I was on my MAC when the same type of bogus windows message popped up, I got one error message after another, Safari wouldn't shut down, and even when I tried to shut down the computer, Safari canceled it. I had to turn off the UPS to get my computer to shut down. I kept hitting cancel on the error messages; once I saw the bogus windows message pop up, I realized what was happening. I didn't click on anything else once I saw the the bogus windows message, I recognized it immediately and I shut down the computer as fast as I could and I haven't turned it back on. Is it possible to get a virus on a Mac running OS X? How can I know if I got malware on my MAC? What's the best (and free) malware detector for a MAC? Thanks, Teresa

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI