This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

MacBook virus? Possible to hijack FF or Safari?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't remember what I was doing earlier today, but ClamXav reported it found something - so I told it to clean it. I don't even remember what it was. Then I logged out, shutdown, booted, logged into the Admin account and attempted to use ClamXav, but it wanted to update itself, and then I couldn't get that to update correctly, so I tried my best to uninstall clamav and clamXav (doubt that I got it all removed). System is Mac OS X 10.4.11 (yeah, I know, I need to upgrade!) Then I searched for AV software for Mac, found eset and Avast! had something. ESET requirements require higher than 10.4, I think. So I downloaded the 30 day trial version of Avast! for mac. I ran it first under the Admin account, and now I'm running under the 'standard' account which I'd been originally using when I got the first alert from ClamXav. So far, there have been warnings (decompression bomb?) but no viruses reported. System is running slowly while I'm running Avast scan. Am I infected? I've never worried too much about it on the mac before… Now, I'm not even sure I trust my browsers (safari and firefox) to be pointed at the right place when I type a URL. My windows computer is at the shop, so I can't use it as a known "uninfected" computer to help out here. If this is not the correct forum for macs, thanks for your patience. Please point me to the appropriate resource in that case… thank you!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI