This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

2 OS's on C drive? trying to delete backup folder

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer was running slow. I tried doing a backup, got a black screen ,things happend that Im not really sure about what I did to be honest Finally able to get back to logon screen and found a backup file on drive c that is 259 mb it contains all of my computers files, folders, programs and windows vista as well. Also on drive c is another set of program files, folders, and windows vista. I have copied the backup folder to cd rom drive however I am at a loss as to what to do with the backup folder. It wont recycle. On top of all this I have drive D Recovery. at this point Im almost ready to try to figure out how to start all over. But I'll give anyone else a try. It is now so slow I cant even close a window without it clocking. Here is Hijack This. Thanks a million to anyone who might have a clue


Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 12:21:24 PM, on 3/17/2011
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16982)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark 6500 Series\lxdfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark 6500 Series\lxdfamon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10n_ActiveX.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbarUser_32.exe
C:\Users\bonnie and al\Downloads\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bing.com/?pc=ZUGO&form=ZGAPHP
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Search Toolbar - {9D425283-D487-4337-BAB6-AB8354A81457} - C:\Program Files\Search Toolbar\SearchToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.6.6209.1142\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Search Toolbar - {9D425283-D487-4337-BAB6-AB8354A81457} - C:\Program Files\Search Toolbar\SearchToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxdfmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 6500 Series\lxdfmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxdfamon] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 6500 Series\lxdfamon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki… - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_D183CA64F05FDD98.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Firewall (avgfws) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgfws.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: lxdfCATSCustConnectService - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\\lxdfserv.exe
O23 - Service: lxdf_device - - C:\Windows\system32\lxdfcoms.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

–
End of file - 5329 bytes
Hi Bonnie, welcome to WTT :thumbup:

I don't see anything nasty in that log but if you think you have Malware (strange PC behavior, not just slow), you would need to post in the Malware section of WTT. You do have some bloatware (overly large programs for what they do) though, which can seriously slow down a PC that is light on Ram. That's 2GB of Ram or less with Vista or W7.

I'd remove the Google toolbar and you might wish to consider replacing Abode with Foxit reader http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/
AVG is another overly large and resource hungry program. Either Security Essentials, Avast or Avira (freeware versions) would be good alternatives.

To uninstall any of the above programs, download the freeware version of RevoUninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst…e_download.html

When installing any new software, always make sure you select 'custom' install and untick any add-ons offered, which often include either the Google toolbar or Ask toolbar (Foxit reader offers that I think). If you ever accidentally find yourself with any of these add-ons, always uninstall them with RevoUninstaller to completely remove them. Only tick the bold registry entries in Revo if the program presents any registry entries to be uninstalled.

See how you go and let us know if things have improved. If not, we can look at other possible reasons for your slow PC.

Cheers,
Lee
Thanks a million Lee, I will do as you suggested and will let you know how is goes. One question still….Do you have any idea why I might have a backup file on my c drive as well as my regular os and files and folders. I don't want this backup on my hard dr. I have it already on cd rom. Thanks again Bonnie
As you already have a factory backup on drive D:, I'd say the backup folder is a copy of your last OS install. If you have never done a reinstall on your PC, it shouldn't be there. Do you know what is in the folder and what size it is? Right click it and select 'properties'. Cheers, Lee
You know Lee I think your right. I remember now back on 3-11 trying to do a reinstall. I think when I did it, it must of created this backup folder cuz its 26 gb, 138,000 files and 24,000 folders and it contains windows, program files, etc. it was created 3-11-11. I want to delet this backup but all i can do is copy files to cd rom. it doesnt delete them when i transfer to cd rom just copies files. cant recycle either.
Hi Bonnie, Hmmm, you should be able to right click that folder and select "delete". If you receive a pop-up that says the file is too big for the recycle bin, just ignore that and delete anyway. Your recycle bin is set to hold only so much (can be adjusted), but a delete that is too big will still delete. It just won't show up in the recycle bin. I have deleted exactly the same sort of folder you have several times on other peoples PC's with no problems. Personally, when I do a Vista or W7 reinstall, I always reformat the hard drive first with a program on disk like Gparted or similar. That way, no old OS folder is created. If you can't remove the folder, I wouldn't worry about it unless your short of space, as it does nothing and uses no resources. Cheers, Lee
Thanks again Lee for your quick and useful posts. I will try again to recycle this file. I am now at a loss as to what you mean when you said " when I do a Vista or W7 reinstall, I always reformat the hard drive first with a program on disk like Gparted or similar." Can you tell me what that means. Thanks. I will come back after I have reformatted and reinstalledd to let you know how it went. Thanks Bonnie

when I do a Vista or W7 reinstall, I always reformat the hard drive first with a program on disk like Gparted or similar.

Gparted (there are others) is just a tiny Linux based program burnt to create a bootable disk. When I want to do a fresh install of Vista or W7 (requires a retail Vista or W7 disk), I first boot to my Gparted disk which installs into my Ram memory, not my hard drive. When that program opens I can then delete any drive on the hard drive, including C the operating system drive. I then boot to the OS disk I want to install and there won't be anything on the drive. No old OS folder will be created as it's no longer there.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI